New to the forum

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New to the forum

Postby ReynirJ » Oct 19, 2007 6:12 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been caving for quite some time now and have been looking for good places to increase my knowledge about caving. Been reading this board and learned some new things.

I'm from Reykjavík Iceland and we got a lot of great caves here. Almost only lava tubes. Every year a couple of new caves are found here so this is a good place for cavers to do their business.

Just wanted to introduce myself and I'll be reading and hopefully writing on this board in the near future.
ReynirJ
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi ReynirJ,

Iceland is on my list of places to visit someday. Someday...

Anyway, welcome to Cavechat!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Velkominn! :waving:

The land of lava tubes and ice caves is on my list to visit some day, too. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ReynirJ » Oct 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Thank's guys, yes like I said we have some great lava tubes here but ice caves is something that not many people go into. It moves to much and is not very stable. Last year one german tourist died here in an ice cave.

If you need some information about some caves here or something else I can maybe help with that.
ReynirJ
Infrequent Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Welcome to Cavechat ReynirJ! :waving:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ReynirJ » Oct 21, 2007 5:25 pm

I went caving yesterday in one of the biggest lava tubes of the world as far as I know. Parts of it are about 20 meters high and around 15 meters wide. The cave is called Búri and is around 1000 meters long and was only found around 2 years ago so very few people have gone there. I got some photos if anyone's interested at my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/reynirj
ReynirJ
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 21, 2007 5:45 pm

I enjoyed seeing your photos. I am always interested in what the caves look like in other parts of the world.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions