New in North Georgia

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New in North Georgia

Postby Jeff Dodgen » Sep 11, 2007 10:35 am

I found this site after looking for information on caving. I have always been interested in it and wanted to see if it was something I would like, without crawling in one by myself and getting lost. I have a few contacts that go some but figured I could get plenty of information here. I am a firefighter in Metro Atlanta and have a little experience with rope, and looking to try a cave with some help. I am on forums for other topics that I know ALOT about but this is the first "newbie" one I have joined, please go easy. :big grin: How do I get started?
Jeff Dodgen
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Sep 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi, Jeff,

Easiest way to learn is to join a local chapter known as a grotto. Dogwood City Grotto is in Atlanta. Go to caves.org and you can find contact info there.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby wendy » Sep 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Welcome. Since you in live in Atlanta yuo may want to contact the Dogwood City Grotto. A grotto is a caving club. http://www.dcg-nss.org/ they can help point ya in the right direction.

you live in a great area since 2 hours or less away from you are a bunch of great caves in what we call TAG (Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia).
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Jeff Dodgen » Sep 11, 2007 12:37 pm

I was just checking out the info on the Grottos. I actually live in Dawsonville, just south of Dahlonega. It appears the Dogwood City Grotto is the closest. Thanks for replying. I have always wanted to get into doing this but a recent find of a few caves has really got me motivated.
Jeff Dodgen
Infrequent Poster

Postby incavenow » Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. I live over in LaFayette and there is a grotto that meets there also. But I'm sure Atlanta is much closer to you. Good luck on your caving trips!!
:woohoo:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby graveleye » Sep 12, 2007 9:43 am

Jeff, I live in Duluth, and the Dogwood City Grotto is the closest to you. It's a little bit of a drive, but it's only once a month. PM me if you need directions and meeting times.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Caver Introductions