Caver from Monterrey, Mexico

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Nico » Aug 27, 2007 9:47 pm

I mostly cave in northern Nuevo Leon, (bustamante, minas viejas etc.)
but I have been to El Gavilan, once.. hiked like 20 miles to get to it and started getting a bad leg cramp at the rebelay so I decided that a small cave wasnt worth the risk so I changed over and headed out. no I dont cave with a formal group in fact I cave mostly with people from Texas cause there are no cavers in Sabinas, I only know a couple guys from Monterrey (former tec caving members) but I dont like one of them very much.. I'm trying to put together a photo trip to Pozo de Montemayor with SIT (Realm's very own lighting technique)
maybe we can go caving sometime.. contact me at
pitbouncer at gmail dot com
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Popoy » Sep 10, 2007 1:05 pm

Will do, Nico, thanx
Popoy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Popoy » Oct 31, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's a webpage for the survey effort at Camotera :
http://www.incursiones.com.mx/camotera.html

We'll update almost every weekend from now...
Popoy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Nico » Oct 31, 2007 9:52 pm

No helmets.. way to go!! :sarcasm:
:hitsfan:
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Nov 1, 2007 12:08 am

Popoy,

Jim Kennedy led the effort to map all those caves back in the 90's. I did three trips there and published several maps, and probably all the cave maps for Camotera were published years ago. Yes, Gerardo really would like a better water source, and I hope you find one for him (we did not), but do a little research and save yourself endless trips into mapped (and named) caves. There are a lot of holes on that little plateau, and I'm sure we missed some, but that area has a lot of mapped caves and it seems like you didn't look up the prior work.

Cheers,

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Popoy » Nov 6, 2007 4:43 pm

tropicalbats wrote:Popoy,

Jim Kennedy led the effort to map all those caves back in the 90's. I did three trips there and published several maps, and probably all the cave maps for Camotera were published years ago. Yes, Gerardo really would like a better water source, and I hope you find one for him (we did not), but do a little research and save yourself endless trips into mapped (and named) caves. There are a lot of holes on that little plateau, and I'm sure we missed some, but that area has a lot of mapped caves and it seems like you didn't look up the prior work.

Hi, Keith.
Actually I did, and Crash's work was the reason we went there in the first place.
Although no maps of the Camotera area were published that we can find (only Mesa Colorada) it is fairly easy to relate the holes we check with the descriptions in the Bat Conservation website. It's been a while since then and at least one of those caves is now unpassable due to sediment accumulation.
Actually, the Old Log cave we've been digging in was named by Jim's first (published) survey... we respect its given name and never claimed discovery of this one. Just documenting the new dig, if you notice in the website.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity. Give up.
Popoy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Popoy » Nov 6, 2007 4:52 pm

Nico wrote:No helmets.. way to go!! :sarcasm:

Hey, Nico :grin:
We do have helmets and we even use them sometimes... we just tend to forget them at home :oops:
But not always... just usually
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity. Give up.
Popoy
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions