Caving contacts in New York

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Caving contacts in New York

Postby Dawn Ryan » Mar 15, 2007 9:06 pm

I was contacted by a new NSS member who has been trying to make some contacts in New York. This person lives near Altamont. He tried contacting some grotto contacts and did not get any replies. So I tried two grottos as well and haven't received any replies either. If you would like to help with this new caver, please let me know. I can forward to you the email address.

Thanks,
Dawn Ryan
NSS Membership Committee
Dawn Ryan
Frequent Poster

Name: Dawn Ryan
NSS #: 50407
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WSS MSS IG RRSS

Postby wendy » Mar 16, 2007 2:43 am

I know the Boston Grotto caves often in NY, I went with them in November while on a weekend vacation. The thing bout the Boston Grotto is that they aren't based in Boston, seems they were spread out over Mass a bit, give them a try.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Dawn Ryan » Mar 16, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks Wendy, I will.
Dawn Ryan
Frequent Poster

Postby BenC » Mar 16, 2007 10:08 am

Have you tried Niaga Frontier Grotto? They responded pretty quick when I contacted them.

Or my wife and I cave psuedo regularly, and we live in Ithaca, so you can send them my way if you like, we'll be out of town for the next week or so. But after that we'll certainly be doing some trips.
I refer all questions to a hyper-intelligent shade of blue.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Re: Caving contacts in New York

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 16, 2007 11:07 am

Dawn Ryan wrote:I was contacted by a new NSS member who has been trying to make some contacts in New York. This person lives near Altamont. He tried contacting some grotto contacts and did not get any replies. So I tried two grottos as well and haven't received any replies either. If you would like to help with this new caver, please let me know. I can forward to you the email address.

Thanks,
Dawn Ryan
NSS Membership Committee

Hmm, I don't know what grottos he tried contacting, but near Altamont there's the HHG (Heldeberg-Hudson Grotto). I'm not a member (but should be) and has a meeting tonight (if it's not cancelled due to the storm.) I know a number of the members, but not sure who is in charge.

There's also the RPI Student Grotto (of which I AM a member) but I'm not sure how handles contact info. It's part of the Outdoor Club and most folks in the ROC don't even realize there's a grotto there. ;-)

But, if you want him to contact me, I can probably get him in touch with people.

(Oh and Ben, haven't forgotten about you and planning some caving, just been busy. Was hoping to get out tomorrow, but think I'll hold off due to the snow.)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Sean Ryan » Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

I cave in the Schoharie area a lot, and there's lots of active grottos. HHG (http://www.caves.org/grotto/hhg/about.php) and SCAG (http://www.scagrotto.com) are both local, and full of friendly people. In addition to the, people from Northern New Jersey Grotto, Met Grotto, Central New Jersey Grotto and Central Connecticut Grotto visit Schoharie often, because it's the best caving within a few hours' drive.

Some of us might not check their email regularly, but I know firsthand that we go caving a lot, and usually welcome new people.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dawn Ryan » Mar 16, 2007 6:10 pm

I will private message you both with Jordan's contact information. Thanks so much for your help!

Dawn Ryan
Dawn Ryan
Frequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions