New Caver from Marietta, GA

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New Caver from Marietta, GA

Postby subter » Mar 5, 2007 1:02 pm

Over the years I've been to many of the show caves throughout the TAG region but on the 24th of February 07 some members of the DCG were kind enough to take me on what has to be one of the more profound experiences in my life. The 6+ hours spent in Iron Hoop will never be forgotten and now I'm just consumed with the thought 'when will I be able to do this again'?! Constantly reading equipment reviews, cavers experiences and RE-exploring the cave again in my mind... I now understand the obsession.
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby graveleye » Mar 5, 2007 1:08 pm

welcome to cave chat! Are you going to come to the DCG meeting tomorrow night? I'm pretty sure my wife and I will be there.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby MUD » Mar 5, 2007 1:35 pm

I've been caving since I was a kid and I still don't understand the obsession...I just know it's a very special feeling every time I go and it continues long after the trip is over! :grin: Welcome to the grand world of caving and....the obsession will grow.... :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby wendy » Mar 5, 2007 3:00 pm

Welcome, you are in a great location for some nearby great caving, and the DCG are great folks too.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

New Caver

Postby subter » Mar 5, 2007 11:02 pm

graveleye - I do plan on attending the meeting. If I can't make it to a cave at least I can go somewhere where a lot of people are talking about caves. Hopefully I can make underground again early this April. I believe realistic goal (since I have two young children) is a good caving trip every other month.

Cavemud - Thanks... I think. It's difficult to work sometimes as my thoughts continue drifting to where I've been and what lies ahead... to know that the obsession only grows paints a picture of me with a really long beard living alone in a cave 5 - 10 years down the road!

Wendy - Yeah... I guess there aren't many better regions for caving in the US and I did have the opportunity to meet quite a few DCG members and they were all very good people. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Here are some photos from the recent trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/ironhoopcave/ I didn't take the photos, for the most part the credit is assigned by the gallery name.
subter
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 6, 2007 6:19 am

looks to be a great cave to be your first, I can still remember my first cave, well i remember the 3 hr offroad trek and the 6hr deathhike up the side of the mountain as well, your first cave will stick with you a long time. In a few years time look back on it, even go there again, youll be surprised at how much more detail youll catch in the cave, depending on the growth rate of the speleothems you might even be able to discern some growth which would be awesome. But in anycase welcome to the page, its full of knowledgable and helpful people.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby graveleye » Mar 7, 2007 10:58 am

Hey it was nice to meet you last night at the meeting. Sorry that I broke your hand! Just be sure to not hit me with it because my jawbone is harder than my handshake is firm :laughing:
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby subter » Mar 7, 2007 7:59 pm

:rofl: yeah... it's embarrassing that over 2 full months later the hand is still messed up but... oh well, I didn't have much of a choice. You can read about it here if you'd like: http://dangerpop.com/ Looking forward to the vertical training session next week, hope to see you there. Are you planning on attending the vert trip on the 31st?
subter
Frequent Poster

Postby Seamus Decker » Mar 8, 2007 2:52 pm

Hey graveleye, I'm an old Atlanta caver back in town after 3 years in Quebec. I used to cave with Zellner, Cressler, Porter, Kambesis quite a bit. Have not been on a trip for nearly a year though. I'd love to hook up with a beginner/intermediate trip this weekend if there is one I could tag along on.
"Sittin' in a cave as black as midnight,
Cause I got a brand new plastic Justrite
Oozing off the front of my hard hat."
_Plastic Justrite_ Cave Ballad by Barb MacLeod (1973)
Seamus Decker
Frequent Poster

Name: Seamus Decker
NSS #: 32936
Primary Grotto Affiliation: University of Massashusetts Outting Club

Postby graveleye » Mar 8, 2007 3:23 pm

Subter, that is crazy. I didnt catch what dude said to your wife, but it must have been pretty bad. I am the same way with my wife... better not nobody be mean to her or I'll unleash like a mad dog.
I have a saying when I am PO'd like that: You got two choices... walk away, or crawl away. Take your pick.
Of course, seeing my hulking frame is so intimidating, they usually leave me be :rofl: (a bit of sarcasm there lol)
Sounds to me like you didnt give him a choice!

Seamus, stay tuned. I got some trips in the planning stages, but nothing this weekend and probably not the next... spring is springing though, and I am gearing up for some fun.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Seamus Decker » Mar 8, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks Graveleye. I'm on my way to Kentucky weekend after this one, but will be looking for stuff to do beyond that too. Really hope I can find something to do this weekend to get loosened up before Kentucky :)
"Sittin' in a cave as black as midnight,
Cause I got a brand new plastic Justrite
Oozing off the front of my hard hat."
_Plastic Justrite_ Cave Ballad by Barb MacLeod (1973)
Seamus Decker
Frequent Poster

Name: Seamus Decker
NSS #: 32936
Primary Grotto Affiliation: University of Massashusetts Outting Club

Return to Caver Introductions