Brazilian caver - new to the forum

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Brazilian caver - new to the forum

Postby chico » Feb 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi everybody

I'm new to the forum (and the NSS), although I've been caving since 1986. I'm from Brazil, and that's where I used to cave until 1998. Lots of caves there, small ones, big ones, horizontal and pits... most of them "virgin" and waiting to be discovered... My grotto there discovered a few hundred caves there in their 20 years of existence. In 1998 I moved here, and being new to the country, with a young family, and after visiting a disapointing local comercial cave, I "decided" that there was no good caving around... little did I know. Yet I missed caving and the camaraderie that goes with it. Last Christmas, my wife gave me a surprise gift - a NSS membership, and arranged a WV trip with the Greater Allentown Grotto. That was a great trip - it's good to be back to caving...

Chico
chico
Infrequent Poster

Postby adleedy » Feb 23, 2007 8:41 pm

hello chico, welcome to cavechat :waving:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 23, 2007 8:41 pm

:kewl: :banana:
Welcome back to the family! :waving:

You probably won't find as much virgin cave as easily as you must have in Brazil, but you should be able to get your fill of some great caving. You're in the right part of the country!

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Evan G » Feb 23, 2007 8:56 pm

:formations: :formations: :formations: :formations: :formations: :formations: :formations: :formations:

Hello Chico, Welcome to the forum and back to the underground

[center] :bat:[/center]

:bat:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby chico » Feb 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks guys...
chico
Infrequent Poster

Postby Baazalung » Feb 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Hola Chico!

welcome to the forum... :tonguecheek:
It's better down here than out there...
Baazalung
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 26, 2007 4:52 pm

Welcome aboard, Chico.

So, what brings you to Bethlehem? I used to have family up there.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby icave » Feb 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum! I was glad you could make the trip. It was definately a lot of fun. :toast: Now we just need to find a good cave to get you, Beverly and the kids underground. I've got a few other local trips in the works that we'll have to talk about.

- Mike
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby chico » Feb 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi Phil,

I moved to Bethlehem years ago because of a job - the one that brought me to the US... You know, back when the Y2K monster was about to grind civilization to a halt, programmers were in high demand...

Hi Mike

Yeah, that was a fun trip... I think I got a good photo of our 'geiser', but I haven't developed the roll yet... Beverly and the kids are definetely excited about going caving.... Hey, good luck with your microblasting....
chico
Infrequent Poster

Postby icave » Feb 28, 2007 10:48 am

Chico,

I'll send you more details at they become available, but Stephanie and I started discussing the idea of a GAG trip to Friars Hole over Memorial Day Weekend.

- Mike
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 5, 2007 9:29 am

welcome chico to the nss, and to the country. It must be completely different caving in coveralls and poly-pro then what you caved with in brazil. Like what everyone has already said virgin cave is getting more difficult to find every year here in the united states yet we also have a very large population of cavers which adds to the comraderie, which reminds me that convention is a must see event for any caver and it would be wrong of me not to invite you first and foremost to a great event.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Re: Brazilian caver - new to the forum

Postby amaddox » Mar 5, 2007 12:46 pm

chico wrote:Hi everybody

I'm new to the forum (and the NSS), although I've been caving since 1986. I'm from Brazil, and that's where I used to cave until 1998. Lots of caves there, small ones, big ones, horizontal and pits... most of them "virgin" and waiting to be discovered... My grotto there discovered a few hundred caves there in their 20 years of existence. In 1998 I moved here, and being new to the country, with a young family, and after visiting a disapointing local comercial cave, I "decided" that there was no good caving around... little did I know. Yet I missed caving and the camaraderie that goes with it. Last Christmas, my wife gave me a surprise gift - a NSS membership, and arranged a WV trip with the Greater Allentown Grotto. That was a great trip - it's good to be back to caving...

Chico

Welcome to Pennsylvania. There are some nice folks in the Greater Allentown Grotto. Hope you enjoyed the trip. If you have an opertunity, stop on by the Philly Grotto (http://www.phillygrotto.org). We're not too far away.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby chico » Mar 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi bremen66, caving here is not all that different really... poplipro is definetely a new thing for me... In Brazil we used to cave in cotton overall, abd often with short sleeves. Some caves in the northen part of the country are pretty hot and dry ( 85F), but where I come from they are more in the mid-sixties... The convention seems to be really an awesome event. I keep hearing about the OTR - is the OTR part of the yearly NSS convention, or a different event? It looks like there are some many regional events as well that is hard to keep track of...
chico
Infrequent Poster

Postby chico » Mar 17, 2007 12:23 pm

hi amaddox, thanks for the invitation. I joined GAG and will get up to speed with them first. I have two little kids who also want to go caving, so I can't think of big trips for a while, but if I am in the Philli area I will definetely stop by for a visit...
chico
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions