NEW TO CAVING in KY and TN

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

NEW TO CAVING in KY and TN

Postby jarvis » Feb 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Hello, I am wanting to try out caving with some friends. I stationed at Ft Campbell KY right on the the Kentucky Tennessee border. I have been rock climbing for a while so I got most of the equipment for caving and am good at reading maps. Where is a good source to find areas to cave that are not your typical guided tours? I'm looking for something around a 2 or 3 hour drive at most.
jarvis
Infrequent Poster

Postby killian » Feb 10, 2007 8:39 pm

Jarvis welcome to the world of caving.. If yo are going with friends that have gone before then you are in prime cave area. Deep pits go caves. The best thing to do would be to google TAG closed and limited caves. This will give you all the info for caves in your area. look for ones that have an email address or phone number this will get you the permission you need to go.. If your Friends have never been ether that try to join some local Grotto. you cave cave as much as possible with a group. :grin:
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby sandalscout » Feb 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Hey Jarvis, I highly recommend looking up the Clarksville Underground (Local Grotto). I actually just did my first cave today with them, and it was pretty cool!

Email me @ sandalscout@gmailDOTcom to get more information.
sandalscout
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 11, 2007 12:01 am

The best thing to do would be to google TAG closed and limited caves. This will give you all the info for caves in your area.

It's important to look at the list to see if caves you know about in your area are closed or for some reason have limited access. Good landowner relations are extremely important to keeping caves open to cavers. But using the list to access caves is not a good way to begin to find caves or to go caving. There are plenty of other caves -- the list certainly does not include all of the caves in any area.

Far better to begin by visiting open, easy caves, and the very best way to begin caving is to join a grotto. This way you can cave with experienced cavers who will understand the landowner relations for the caves, the skills and equipment required, obstacles you'll encounter, and the general nature of the passages. If you want to cave seriously, then you'll need to learn from cavers.

Have fun! :cavingrocks:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby BenC » Feb 11, 2007 9:01 am

Jarvis, contact the Clarksville Underground Grotto. Sadalscout is right, great group of people and there is a ton of caving within 20-30mins of where you are. You'll get spoiled then move to NY where there are no caves. :doh:
I refer all questions to a hyper-intelligent shade of blue.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Feb 11, 2007 2:29 pm

BenC wrote: You'll get spoiled then move to NY where there are no caves. :doh:

You have caves all around you ,do you mean close to you??
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jarvis » Feb 11, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I just emailed clarksville underground. I hope to hear back from them soon.

Also I got one other question. What is a typical length of rope to bring for caving? I know all caves will be diffrent of course. Just looking for a rule of thumb. If I can find a good deal on shorty. I dont feel like thrashing my dynamic rope in the mud too often if I really get into caving.
jarvis
Infrequent Poster

Postby BenC » Feb 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Jarvis, don't sweat rope right now. SRT and jugging are different creatures and there is an abundance of equipment within the grotto.

Ponorplumber, you are right there are caves all around Pa, Schoharie, Ny, and I've heard rumors of somethings around Watertown, but they are all hours away. Before we moved our project cave was 15 minutes away! :woohoo:
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Feb 11, 2007 11:25 pm

BenC wrote:J Before we moved our project cave was 15 minutes away! :woohoo:

My condolences :shock:

Don't forget the Niagara gorge has a few thousand feet of virgin nastiness too...still a bit of a drive though.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BenC » Feb 12, 2007 9:57 pm

I know nothing of this Niagra Gorge you speak of! :oops: Virgin nastiness is still virgin!!

Wicked awesome screen name by the way!!
BenC
Frequent Poster

new caver

Postby REB » Feb 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Jarvis, first off welcome to the wonderful world of cavin, and to answer your last question,a 200-250' PMI pit rope will get you in almost anything in TAG if its a single drop.
FEAR cannot be conquered until it is faced
REB
Frequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions