Life member who can't cave anymore due to MS

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Life member who can't cave anymore due to MS

Postby cvendura » Nov 24, 2006 5:52 pm

I can't cave due to a physical handicap but my desire to see the underground and to read about has never waned. Can I live the cave exploring life vicariously through one of you?
cvendura
Infrequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Nov 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Heck, cvendura, just come back to this group, and consider us your virtual grotto. Then you don't have to live through 'one' of us, but the whole group.

You might do well to sign up for a local discussion list as well-- I know there are such things in TAG, the Ozarks, Texas, and likely other regions of the country. Those discussion lists will keep you in touch with hundreds of cavers in your area, too, and there is much more discussion of local caves and caving there. I'm sure if you tell folks what region you are in, someone can hook you up with a local discussion list.

We had a local caver who endured a whole series of medical complications, but was a regular on a regional discussion list, and though only a few knew of his inability to cave he kept us going with his commentary, and insights. As the entire caving population is growing older, there is no slight in being armchair-- there is plenty one can do in terms of cave conservation, administrative committee work and so forth in the NSS. One of the NSS offices was, until quite recently, held and adminstered superbly by a caver with a quite active mind and organizational ability, though with severely limited mobility.

Being a caver is a state of mind, and of heart-- tell us where you've caved, what you've seen and some of your exploits, and I'm pretty sure very few will care that circumstances beyond your control now keep you aboveground.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Nov 25, 2006 1:42 pm

Well said Teresa! :kewl: I cant even think of anything to add to that!

Welcome aboard cvendura! You are very welcome here, so feel free to be part of the gang!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Kev
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby monicak » Nov 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Cvendura!
I am glad to see your post. I just started reading this forum recently. The photos are really awesome! You may know this but it took me while to see the buttons on the bottom of each post. Many of them will have a www button linking to their personal website or photo set.

I linked to one website that had an article on a thru trip in Fern Cave in the 80's. It had photos and holy cow a video. It took me back to a trip I made then. very cool. If I find it again I'll PM you!
Monica
monicak
Occasional Poster

Re: Life member who can't cave anymore due to MS

Postby papercaver » Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi, cvendura, :waving: I've never been able to cave due to my spinal condition and impaired breathing...but I love learning about
the wonders of the earth. :yikes: NSS has made it possible for me to be as much a part of caving as I can be. This year I've
entered two paintings in the Fine Arts Section...hope I can find someone who can photo them for me at the show.
Some great friends there. :bat sticker:
Hope you are able to connect with some friends who can keep you in touch. This year I miss the internet connection
they've had that last few years and am trying to see if someone at the Convention can clue me in on what's happening.
:cave softly: paper caver
papercaver
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 55095
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Welcome, cvendura.

As for caving through the keyboard, Cavechat is a great place to visit.

I'd also suggest checking out OnlineCavers.com, an NSS social networking site that has well over 12,000 caving photos to browse and more than 230 caving videos to watch.

Speaking of caving videos, there are hours of them running non-stop on http://www.mycavetv.com , another great place for armchair cavers to check out.

Wayne

:bat sticker:
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 13, 2008 8:55 pm

cvendura,

send me your email and I can send you some trip reports.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby irhxcbcziuzxs » Aug 16, 2008 2:40 pm

MS... ouch, I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which some of you might know gets misdiagnosed as MS and other such diseases very frequently, and many times, people with MS and these other diseases dont actually have them. Lyme is a mimicking disease, and the CDC is completely crap on lyme, i tested negative via CDC but positive through a more reliable Lyme exclusive lab.

Fortunately for me however, I only have to deal with tremors at the moment, very sorry to hear of your condition. best wishes.
irhxcbcziuzxs
Frequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Aug 17, 2008 5:20 pm

I am a MS caver. I still cave but know there will be a time when I will too have to be a armchair caver. Until then I am going to as many caves as time will allow.
My MS has posed some problems but so far I have found ways to work around them. I would be happy to send you pictures, videos and trip reports from the point of view of a MS Caver.
I keep kind of a caving journal of where when and how of my trips that includes my challenges as A MS caver. In the hopes that some day it might help others with our same problems.
Would love to share them.
Caveflower :cavingrocks:
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Return to Caver Introductions