My name is Dane...and I'm a Caver

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

My name is Dane...and I'm a Caver

Postby Dane » Nov 19, 2006 9:33 am

Hi - I'm Dane - NSS # 57919.
I have worked for LifeSavers for over 25 yrs, in the regulatory compliance and risk management areas, with a focus on environmental and safety. Chattanooga is the home of LS Gummis, CremeSavers, Altoids, and Altoids Sours. There are worse ways to scrape by than making candy for a living!
I have a 27 yr old daughter and a 19 yr old son, and I date the most amazing woman (OK - person!) I have ever met!
She and I went to a Chattanooga Grotto meeting back in September, and despite Dennis Curry's presentation on cave rescues and body retrievals, signed up for a trip to Gourdneck!
I have been hooked every since!
Went to the TAG Cave-in last month and had the honor of going to the Chattanooga Grotto's 50th Anniversary Gala a couple of weeks ago.
This afternoon I will be going on my 14th caving trip into my 10th cave (Catacombs).
Last weekend, I did my first pit - Cagle's Chasm (~185') after taking the On Rope 1 - Basic Vertical Course. (a large % of caves here have vertical aspects)
Ah.... the joys of living in the heart of TAG!!!!
I absolutely love wet caves!
While I am enjoying the adventurous aspects of caving, I am also keenly interested in the conservation and preservation of these amazing yet delicate ecosystems and intend to get more involved in those efforts. As such, I hope to join both the local grotto and SCCi after the holidays.
Cavers are, as a group, the best people I have ever met. They are generous and helpful and seem to have a much lower % of asses than is found in the general population. Very refreshing!
Oh, that goes for you guys on Cavechat as well - you have all been very nice to me and I do appreciate it.
I know you want to hear more about "The Dane", but right now, I have to replenish my pack and check my equipment - I'm going caving!!!!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Nico » Nov 19, 2006 10:05 am

Welcome to cavechat!

I know you want to hear more about "The Dane", but right now, I have to replenish my pack and check my equipment - I'm going caving!!!!

I envy you :kewl:
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: My name is Dane...and I'm a Caver

Postby tangled_slinky » Nov 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Dane wrote: Hi - I'm Dane - NSS # 57919.
I have worked for LifeSavers for over 25 yrs, in the regulatory compliance and risk management areas, with a focus on environmental and safety. Chattanooga is the home of LS Gummis, CremeSavers, Altoids, and Altoids Sours. There are worse ways to scrape by than making candy for a living!

Ooh, nifty job. But maybe you can't /won't eat lifesavers anymore...? :sad:

Anyway, hi and welcome.
The love of dirt is among the earliest of passions, as it is the latest. Mud-pies gratify one of our first and best instincts. So long as we are dirty, we are pure. -C.D. Warner
tangled_slinky
Occasional Poster

Name: Kate Ferguson
NSS #: 56925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wittenberg University Speleological Society

Postby Dane » Nov 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Thank you both.
It isn't as cool as say, being a shrubber, but it ain't bad!
I was never much for hard candy, but I do like the Gummis (ours are very different than Gummi Bears - softer with more flavor), and now that we make the Altoids, well, they are great!
We have some new stuff coming out, but I'm forbidden to speak of them. They are all very good though, and some are a little surprising/different than what you might expect. I'm afaid that you will have to wait until Jan 07 to try them though!
(BTW, Catacombs was way-cool! Like caving in a giant block of swiss cheese! Very cool cave - multiple passageways, mutliple levels, mulitple entrances - definitely going back to this one!)
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Return to Caver Introductions