Online names

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Online names

Postby cob » Aug 2, 2006 3:50 pm

perhaps this should be in "open-talk" but...

Now that a significant # of the folks who keep this place interesting are heading off to convention, and the rest of us are stuck here in the "nether-world", I thought it would be interesting (or even funny) to see where our "on-line" names come from. (graveleye?)(Amemeba?)(erebus?)

For starters, one might reasonably think I am a real fan of of corn on the cob or corn cob pipes from my c-o-b name... while I do love Iowa corn fresh from the garden I stole it out of, you could not be more wrong.

Some years back I was settin' around a cold winters fire with Korey Hart and Tony Schmitt talkin' about caves, caving, politics, and a-holes we have known, when the subject of e-mail came up and how a lot of caving conversation happens that way. I mentioned that I was thinking of getting a computer and what is more, E-MAIL even.

The hoots of laughter and derision echoed across the valley for a considerable length of time, interspersed with comments such as, "That'll be the day. You??? E-MAIL??!!!" and "Yeah! I can see it now! His e-mail address will be Crustyoldb*str*d dot com!"

Well, approximately 6 mos later, a buddy of mine upgraded and sold me his old computer. I signed up with AOL and after a # of attempts settled on "crustyoldbstrd@aol.com"

Ever since, I have been the COB.

What's your story?

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby zenas » Aug 2, 2006 3:56 pm

zenas comes from zenas my last name ;) (in greek zenas comes from zeus).
Worldwide Caving News
http://www.zenas.gr/WCN

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » Aug 2, 2006 4:26 pm

One of the two emails I use is belloq at juno.com. I signed up for it in 1998, after being dismayed that every other obscure reference I could think of was already taken. belloq is the name of the villain from Raiders of the Lost Ark, whose head blows up at the end.

My other email is cavingprivateryan at gmail.com. Self-explanatory.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 2, 2006 4:57 pm

Mine is reasonably self-explanatory - and there's no interesting story like with Cob's. :grin:

Although to be more correct, I probably should be NZcaverNowLivingAndCavingInTheUS. But my version is much simpler and shorter. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby graveleye » Aug 2, 2006 5:13 pm

hmm... I wear contacts, and always have some debris stuck in my eye. I came up with the name graveleye from that - eventually it became the name of the band I was playing in.. then I took it for my "persona" as a music producer when the band changed its name. I think more people know me as graveleye than they know me by my real name.

My real name is Kevin and y'all can call me Kev.

BTW I think this thread is appopriate for this part of the forum...
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Aug 2, 2006 6:13 pm

Well, my name Wendy, not to much of a story there.

My e-mail is TMR171, which stands for Team Margarita Racing and 171 is a race number. I used to work pit crew, team photographer, and PR for a jet ski team.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby speloman » Aug 2, 2006 6:23 pm

My screen name is Speloman because I love caves and used to spend most of my free time underground (Plus it sounded good when I tried to figure out a scrn name). Now finding time to get underground is enough of a adventure its self.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 2, 2006 7:05 pm

When I was a little kid, we were visiting a lake in Minnesota in the winter. I fell through the ice and a squirrel was on the shore kinda running back and forth between the lake's edge and my mom, trying to get her attention. It was like Lassie! And my life was saved because of that squirrel, so now I'm "Squirrel Girl"!

Oh, yeah, and my avatar is what's left of that very squirrel we had stuffed after it died of old age.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Evan G » Aug 2, 2006 7:11 pm

My handle is Kver33, because I'm hooked on Phonics. Actually, I’ve had the same e-mail address Kver33 since 2001. It came out of the fact that Wyoming Lic. Plate only allows four letters on the Plate, so Kver came into being. The 33 was a land rover that I owned and it was 33 out of 500-D110’s ever built. I eventually sold it but kept the handle: Kver33.

The avatar is Radon Caver, because we have some radioactive caves here in WY. (Now it's a BioHazard Caver, in search of the ellusive Biology of a Cave)
Last edited by Evan G on Aug 8, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Eve » Aug 2, 2006 8:05 pm

My name, like Wendy's is superclever. Thank my mom for it.

I don't even have a fun email address, just my first and last name.
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Casper » Aug 2, 2006 8:08 pm

There are a couple reasons I go by Casper. Besides the habit of randomly diasppearing and then poping up who knows where sometime later, I have a fasination with the paranormal. Been accused of being a ghost many times by others when I've slipped up on them. Seen a few things that lack all other explanations, that some people just wont let me forget out (Why did I have to open my mouth?). If you cant beat them you might as well join them. One comes across as lot less Casper's than Jennifer's in life anyways.
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby NZcaver » Aug 2, 2006 9:04 pm

speloman wrote:My screen name is Speloman because I love caves and used to spend most of my free time underground...

Sorry Justin - I have to ask. Is there a special reason why you chose "speloman" and not "speleoman"? :question: Just curious... :caver:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Grandpa Caver » Aug 2, 2006 9:33 pm

I have 5 grandchildren, ages 2 to 9, and one on the way. All six have been caving with me at least once (although the one still in the oven may not have been aware of it at the time). Three of them already concider themselves oldtimers. They dont get to cave with ol' grandpa as much as I'd like but "Grandpa Caver" just seemed to fit.

BL
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby speloman » Aug 2, 2006 11:51 pm

[quote="NZcaver"][quote="speloman"]My screen name is Speloman because I love caves and used to spend most of my free time underground...[/quote]
Sorry Justin - I have to ask. Is there a special reason why you chose "speloman" and not "speleoman"? :question: Just curious... :caver:[/quote]

Actually no reason at all one of the first things that came to mind and stuck.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 3, 2006 12:24 am

speloman wrote:
NZcaver wrote:
speloman wrote:My screen name is Speloman because I love caves and used to spend most of my free time underground...

Sorry Justin - I have to ask. Is there a special reason why you chose "speloman" and not "speleoman"? :question: Just curious... :caver:

Actually no reason at all one of the first things that came to mind and stuck.
So do you pronounce it Spell-oh-man, Spee-loh-man or some other way? :huh:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Next

Return to Caver Introductions