Online names

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Espeleologa » Aug 7, 2006 9:37 am

The entrance of Hades according the myth was a cave in southern peloponnisos with the name PYLI TOU ADI (Gate of Hades). This (almost coastial) cave still exists with the same name.

Thanks for sharing, Zenas. I used to read (and know) quite a bit about Greek Mythology. I don't know as much anymore but I still like it and find it interesting.

Espeleologa means "caver" (feminine) in Spanish. I was born and raised in Majorca, Spain so......that was the extent of my "originality". [Yep, I am an alien (a legal one, eh!).]
Micky

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you don't have a leg to stand on.
Espeleologa
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ursus Spelaeus » Aug 8, 2006 12:08 pm

Ursus Spelaeus is a prehistoric cave bear.
In italian slang "bear" is a man with a bad character :)
Last, but not least, my body has a lot of hair :grin:

What other nick name for me? :rofl:
Ursus Spelaeus
Infrequent Poster

Postby zenas » Aug 8, 2006 12:25 pm

Ursus Spelaeus wrote:Ursus Spelaeus is a prehistoric cave bear.

Talking about ursus spelaeus...
The oldest findings are approx. 1.5 million years old.
The last findings - before the previous post - 18,720 years before, to the borders between France and Spain.

Distribution of the Ursus Spelaeus:

:?
Last edited by zenas on Aug 8, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Worldwide Caving News
http://www.zenas.gr/WCN

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ursus Spelaeus » Aug 8, 2006 12:33 pm

zenas wrote:Talking about ursus spelaeus...
The last the findings (to the borders between France and Spain) are 18.720 years old.
The oldest findings are approx. 1.5 million years.

Distribution of the Ursus Spelaeus:

:?

interesting, Zenas.

I visited a cave, near Rome, in which there was bones of Ursus Spelaeus and objects of prehistoric men, now in a museum, as the cave has an easy access.
Ursus Spelaeus
Infrequent Poster

Postby zenas » Aug 8, 2006 12:48 pm

Ursus, just visited your cave and i think it's very good!
Interested to join the WCN Network?
Last edited by zenas on Aug 8, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worldwide Caving News

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ursus Spelaeus » Aug 8, 2006 12:58 pm

zenas wrote:Ursus, just visited your cave and i think it's very good!

are y talking about my blog? :)

Interested to join the WCN Network?

yes. I can put the news in my blog, but in september, when I will come back in Rome.
Ursus Spelaeus
Infrequent Poster

Postby zenas » Aug 8, 2006 1:05 pm

Thank you Ursus, you can choose several services, check http://www.zenas.gr/site/includes/inc_wcn_join.asp

The basic idea is to build a platform to join all the caving sites in the internet. To have something in common and a way to inform instantly other cavers around the world about important news, messages and alerts.

Every caving site should join.
Worldwide Caving News

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Aug 9, 2006 12:19 am

John Tudek here - the annoying b**tard behind hewhocaves. LOL

Hewhocaves actually has a bit of a history. My very first email addy was calvin@ios.com because my hair looks very much like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes (and I had a very Calvin childhood - thus the logo). Even though that account hasn't been around for a decade, you can still google it and something will come up. Weird.

Anyway, it became obvious that with the internet exploding, Calvin wasn't going to cut it. I needed something unique which reflects me. I went through all sorts of (now forgotten permutations)

Around the same time, Civilization II came out. Civ II was a great game, although they never did make up a civ for my nationality (Polish) which always irked me. I'd play the Americans, the British, sometimes even the Germans... but it never felt right and I never really got into it. So I started looking at some of the other civs.
One of the civs was *Native Americans* (I think it might have been the Souix, actually). Regardless, the idea of playing a *natualistic* society seemed to mesh nicely with the environmentalist aspect of being a caver.

The catch was, I needed a name for my leader. A nice psuedo-Indian name. And then a snippet of a recalled story came to me about the 19th century dino hunter O. C. Marsh and the name the Lakota gave him:
"Man who picks up sticks while running." Surely, I thought, if I lived among the Lakota, my name would be something as equally bizarre. But what?

About half a minute later I was playing Civ as He-who-caves. Not much later aol became the first account to have hewhocaves on it. And it's been with me ever since.

A couple of things about the name.
1) You won't believe the number of people who think it is hew-ho-caves. (what a hew-ho is, I never discovered).
2) In the last couple of years I've been introduced more and more frequently as hewhocaves instead of John, further blurring the lines of identity. I've gone to OTR a couple of times with hewhocaves as my name-tag.
3) My last name *tudek* is one of the rarest in the country. I stick out like a massive massive sore thumb on the 'net. Of course, so does hewhocaves. lol.
4) I never came up with another name as cool. The closest I've come up with is "Cerulean Caver" based on my spelunking character from 'city of heroes'.

So that's it. Tune in next week when I fill out the other half of this subforum and tell everyone why i am the way I am. (dropped frequently on the head as a child).

John
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Robert Sewell » Aug 14, 2006 10:05 pm

I didn't choose a nick for this forum. I figured I'd be chatting with folks I know and cave with, or would like to know and cave with, so I used my real name. (And for those I don't want to know or cave with, my real name is John Doe. :nannabooboo: )

The only nickname (besides Bob) I've been given that I am not embarrassed to have came from a few years back when I was really digging into and appreciating the smidgen of Scottish blood running through my veins. I signed onto several Internet Relay Chat rooms using the nick Saltire, which is the nickname for the sky blue Scottish flag with a white St. Andrew's Cross on it. Friends then shortened that to Salty, and that stuck, at least with that crowd. Sounds like it belongs to a crusty old sailor rather than a crusty old caver...

I was never on Arpanet, but I was a long-time (ab)user of Fidonet from about 1988 through 1996 or so. I remember how breathless I was watching the ASCII welcome screens of the BBS's I logged onto just fly across my EGA monitor after upgrading my modem from 1200 to 2400 baud. Those were exciting times!
Why do they say we're psychotic as if it's a bad thing?
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Postby caverbob » Aug 15, 2006 3:07 pm

I've been using CaverBob since the 80's when I got my first computer back in 82. I'm Bob and I cave. :woohoo:
Bob Gulden NSS#13188LF
NSS Long & Deep Cave Lists:
http://www.caverbob.com/home.htm
caverbob
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 15, 2006 4:18 pm

cob wrote:pss: Barbara, loved it! Did you name the squirrel?
Why "Lassie," of course!
:grin:

I don't have a problem with people having user names different than their real names. I have made it easy on everyone by including my real name in my signature line. For better or worse, I'm too well known in the community to hide my identity, even should I want to. And, especially now, as an administrator, I feel it's my responsibility to be transparent about myself. I tried to keep a low profile as I am getting back into cave diving and the cave diving fora, but even there, too many people know who Squirrel Girl is. :whistle:

I guess I've been a caver too, too long, that everyone still thinks of me as "Barbara" (or to my dismay, "Barb"). But in my mountain biking club, I'm better known as SG, except among my closest riding buddies.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby hewhocaves » Aug 16, 2006 4:37 pm

didn't George Carlin say something about there being a certain validity in just accepting what people call themselves? i.e. that everyone is an individual and has the right to be known by whatver they choose to be known by.

And for a lot of my friends, their online screen name (which goes with them from forum to forum) has become as much a part of them as their given name. So basically I don't think it's very accurate to assume that because someone uses a screen name that they are automatically trying to hide themselves.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Squirrel Bait » Sep 20, 2006 8:13 pm

My email address: Votel is the Compilation of greatest Quality, Pride, Honer that is humanly possible. (Even to the extent of being dumb illogical and more inclined to principle) A good example was a French Chief named Vatel hew lived during the german occupancy of france. He was known as THEE best at what he did. The german army could wind of this and summoned him to cook for the highest generals, ext. He threw a truly grand "going away" party in which he invited as many of the french greats as could show up. At the end of the party he blew is brains out rather than Wast such refinement on the germans. Still there are a few hew say that hi shot himself because he thought the shrimp dish was slightly imperfect.( after which you where expected to chuckle a little, and wish him well) So bless his hart(if your from the south). Though abstract and unknown, In my eye he is one of the GREATER MEN OF TRUE HISTORY.
>>It seems no one even knows or cares what is important and often it takes people like him to remind the world "be real and be true regardless of what surrounds you".

:flamed:
"When the student is ready the master will appear." (Dorel)
Squirrel Bait
Occasional Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 20, 2006 8:19 pm

hewhocaves wrote:You won't believe the number of people who think it is hew-ho-caves. (what a hew-ho is, I never discovered)

Count me in that group for awhile. Not to be clueless only once, I have a friend whose online name is Phydeaux and it took me a long time to figure out he was using a different spelling of Fido.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

No great stories here

Postby CaverScott » Sep 21, 2006 6:49 am

For the first three NSS Forums, I used my regular ol' Name. After I retired as NSS Prez, I adopted my Geo-caching name (CaverScott).
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Introductions