Online names

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cob » Sep 21, 2006 7:01 am

Wayne Harrison wrote:
hewhocaves wrote:You won't believe the number of people who think it is hew-ho-caves. (what a hew-ho is, I never discovered)

Count me in that group for awhile.

yah, me too, and I still tend to read it that way... It is the "h"s, they provide a visual division that is hard to ignore.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dane » Nov 19, 2006 1:51 am

Like many of you, I am old enough to come from the days when on-screen names were....just names.
On the flip side, "Dane" is unique enough to show some individuality (if you disregard that ass, Dane Cook!), which precludes the need for a nickname.
Besides, it is kinda like a tatoo - I would love to have one, but there isn't really anything I feel strongly enough about to have it permanently etched into my wrapping! I mean, I am basically just silly - what do I have? A big smiley face??? Everyone would think I worked at Walmart!!!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 6, 2007 6:35 am

hmm, could have sworn i already made a post in this topic, probably on the last board. My name comes from a character in a fantasy trilogy by Terry Brooks http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/shann ... tking.html
well to make a long story short he was a powerful wizards name that every other fantasy loving person out there wasnt aware of since his name came from a prequil that many people did not read...the 66 at the end I just add because someone usually steals my handle before I discover the particular board im registering for. As for real names its all in my profile even my nss number for yeall who feel that anonomity is bad.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Illinois Caver » Mar 6, 2007 8:35 am

I think mine is pretty self-explanatory. I figure there really aren't that many of us cavers in Illinois, so I got to represent the state!

Also, I'm an U of I alum, so it has a little double meaning.

GO ILLINI!!

CHIEF!!
Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Name: Troy Simpson
NSS #: 45667
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby Mustard Devil » Mar 6, 2007 3:22 pm

I was in England, July 2001, the redhead and I were taking a tour of Hampton Court Palace , some guy named Henry used to live there, we were in the gift shop , she picked up a jar of the Devil's Mustard, turned towards me and smiled, told me to behave for the umpteenth time :grin:
and said "Since you cant act like an adult, your nickname is Mustard Devil"
Mustard Devil
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 6, 2007 5:16 pm

Mustard Devil wrote:I was in England, July 2001, the redhead and I were taking a tour of Hampton Court Palace , some guy named Henry used to live there, we were in the gift shop , she picked up a jar of the Devil's Mustard, turned towards me and smiled, told me to behave for the umpteenth time :grin:
and said "Since you cant act like an adult, your nickname is Mustard Devil"

ok so who is the redhead?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Mustard Devil » Mar 6, 2007 6:29 pm

The redhead's name is Jan. Met her on an email site-EPALS World.
Was gonna marry her and emigrate to England but the relationship went "south".
Mustard Devil
Infrequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 6, 2007 10:59 pm

Couple of comments:

My name: stridergdm

Well Strider is my trail name. Not very original I know. But fits me. And the character I've admired. And I've used it at an chat forum based out of RPI for over 20 years now. I'll answer to Strider or Greg. It gets weird though now reading Lord of the Rings when it says, "Strider did x" and I'm thinking, "I did?"

Now since Strider is so common, I've added my initials in several cases.

Now, back to Phil's comments on anonymity. How do we know anyone's name is their name? How do we know Phil is really Phil? Ultimately we don't unless we've met him, seen his birth certificate or passport. (Since driver's licenses can be easily forged. :-) (now I do trust Phil is who he says he is. Just picking on him as an example. No offense intended Phil.)

Ultimately, ideally reputation DOES get attached to a name, either your parent given name, a pseudonym or whatever.

I do agree that the use of "hit and run" anonymous users is greater than ever. But even those people on the Net that I've never met, I know by reputation, even if that reputation is attached to an obviously fake name.

Ultimately that's little different than it being attached to their legal name.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 6, 2007 11:58 pm

well even this hit-and-runs can be traced back via an ip address, which if they have a static ip will bring you directly to them
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Wormster » Mar 13, 2007 9:41 am

I'm called the wormster because I wormed my way in from the outside.

I first found PANIC!'s ue site in Australia:
http://www.urbanadventure.org/main/newindex.htm

Then found Darkplaces forum in the Uk and Ukcaving forum and the rest is as they say history.

As to hiding behind a user name that's all it is.

My real name is Bill & I'm a 40ish father of 2. See I'm not hiding anything. :doh:
Madam in the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly.
Wormster
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions