Getting going in Alabama

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Getting going in Alabama

Postby geologeek » Aug 9, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi all! I'm a new transplant to Tuscaloosa for grad school and am ready to get my toes wet caving. I'm originally from the Philadelphia area and moved here from Utah, where I spent plenty of time canyoneering and am in search of more exciting below-ground adventures. I'm also way too into climbing and hiking/backpacking, and just started mountain biking. If anyone knows the best way for me to dive into caving, don't be a stranger! I was having trouble figuring out how to get in touch with local grottos (looks like Bham is the closest but the web site only appeared to offer a P.O. box). Rock on!
geologeek
New Poster

Re: Getting going in Alabama

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 10, 2018 3:45 pm

What I have done over the years is to show up at a meeting and introduce myself. Most grottos have someone who will greet newbies and show them the ropes. Also, you are now in one of the premier caving areas of the world. Welcome.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby vapor » Aug 13, 2018 7:14 am

Welcome geologeek,

I 2nd what Phil said. Show up and or join a local grotto, meet some folks and you'll be caving. Birmingham Grotto meetings are 1st Tuesday of each month at Avondale Brewery at 7pm. We may have a couple of events later this month but are ironing out the details right now.

If you would like to chat further look me up in your NSS members manual or hit me up on facebook. Easier then cavechat.

Bradley Jones
NSS63915
vapor
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63915
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby CaverScott » Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC