New in Ithaca

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New in Ithaca

Postby TimTim » Feb 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Hello I'm new on this forum and in USA!
I just came from France last week. I did some caving activities near Grenoble in France: by example the TQS (Trou qui souffle) cave in Vercors or the amazing "Dent de Crolle" in Chartreuse. Unfortunately I didn't do "le Berger" but I was very close to this cave.
I will leave in Ithaca, NY for one year at least.
I would like to know if caves and cavers are around Ithaca to do some under-earth activities?
Happy to meet you soon!
TimTim
New Poster

Re: New in Ithaca

Postby poppol » Feb 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello TimTim

I'm from Montréal (Canada) and I often going in Albany area for caving. This area that contains many caves, small to medium-large. You can spend a lot of time there. You can join us in next NRO (http://caves.org/region/nro/) in May 20-22. It is a biennial (spring/autumn) gathering from North East area which is organized by a local Grotto. You can meet lots of people including those in Quebec and Ontario.

Don’t go in NY caves immediately, they are almost all closed until May 1 because of White-nose Syndrome Infection. You can see the protected caves purchased by NCC (http://www.necaveconservancy.org).

Bienvenu dans la région et au plaisir de se rencontrer.
Paul
NSS-CDS, SQS, CASQUE
poppol
Infrequent Poster

Name: Paul Verville
NSS #: 66157
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-CDS - NRO - SQS - CASQUE

Re: New in Ithaca

Postby LukeM » Feb 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Welcome TimTim.

If you're looking to easily hook up with trips I recommend getting in touch with the Syracuse University Outing Club. They are 1 hour north of Ithaca and are pretty active with caving trips. They also have a lot of equipment and I'm sure would be interested to learn from and share knowledge with a French caver. The recommendation to go to an NRO event is a very good one. Lots of cavers to meet there.

Most of the good caves in NY are going to be about 2.5 hours east of Ithaca.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to Caver Introductions