Heading out to Clarksville Cave

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Heading out to Clarksville Cave

Postby SargeOut15 » Jul 17, 2015 11:00 am

I am heading out to Clarksville Cave, in Clarksville NY and was just wondering if anyone has any information on this cave or more importantly hazards to stay away from? I am bringing two "cave virgins" and I have never done this cave myself. I have been reading and studying up on this cave system, but now I am turning to this group for some guidance. Thanks in advance. :waving:
SargeOut15
Infrequent Poster

Re: Heading out to Clarksville Cave

Postby Caving Guru » Jul 17, 2015 3:20 pm

I have never been there myself but I have heard that it is the most visited cave in the Northeastern United States so it might be crowded when you are there. I believe Clarksville Cave also has a potential hazard of flooding.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SargeOut15 » Jul 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks Caving Guru, that is one of my main concerns. I have been monitoring the weather reports and trying to find out conditions but have been unsuccessful.
SargeOut15
Infrequent Poster

Postby Vince » Jul 18, 2015 8:04 am

Have you checked the NCC web site http://www.necaveconservancy.org/default.php for information? Contact the Preserve Manager - find on web site - for current conditions and likely visitor load for you planned trip.
Vince
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 7274 CL FE

Postby SargeOut15 » Jul 20, 2015 11:27 am

Thank for your comments. We went and had a great time. We never made it to the Lake Room, but we went to the Bath Tub Room which actually had about 3/12ft of water to wade through. Going to go back sometime and give it another go sometime to try and see it all. Great beginners cave, very wet though and only averages about 52 degrees down there.
SargeOut15
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Jul 22, 2015 8:12 am

glad you had a good time. I had met up with the Boston Grotto once and they took me and a group of Canadian cavers. It was fun.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions