Hello from Northern California

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Northern California

Postby rudibega » Apr 11, 2015 12:03 am

Hello there! My name is Rudi. I have been caving for about fiver years, and can't get enough of it! I am a member of the Shasta Area Grotto. Great folks. We are located in a geologically unique area for cavers. I wish we had more karst, but we do have some bands of Limestone, a large Marble Karst, and an insane amount of basalt, loaded with lava tubes. There is a few small talus caves in the granite as well. The grotto has been cataloging and mapping the lava tubes for some thirty plus years and haven't run out yet! I really love it out in the Marble Mountain Wilderness, and try to get out there as many times as I can. Its a long hike, but so worth every inch of it! Bigfoot cave is the longest out there with I believe 12 miles of mapped passage and 1200 feet vertical variance from top to bottom. I have been a handful of times and still haven't seen close to all of the cave. Great place to be.

I have an extensive history in conservation and climbing, so when I discovered caving, it was a perfect fit. I got right into it and have purchased pretty much all the gear I need, and plenty of spare stuff. I use the frog system for caving, and love to get vertical. I read 3 of Roger Brucker's books on caving and exploration of Kentucky's Mammoth cave and it blew me away. I would literally wake up after reading the books at night, and be exhausted, having slept 8 hours, and caved for twice that long in my dreams. I recommend these books if you haven't read them.

I decided to splurge on a nice light, deciding that a cavers light is like a skydivers parachute. I bought an El Speleo, and I absolutely love it. I highly recommend this light.

I am looking forward to more caves, and cavers. If your in the area, or planning, feel free to contact me. Glad to be here, and I hope to see you underground soon!
rudibega
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shasta Area Grotto

Re: Hello from Northern California

Postby Mugger » Apr 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Hey Rudi, great to see another local on here!

After our last trip I went home with a bad case of light envy (and poison oak)... told the wife I found the next light I want. Anyway, great caving with you, hope to do it again soon.

Hans
Mugger
Occasional Poster

Name: Hans
NSS #: 61554

Re: Hello from Northern California

Postby rudibega » Apr 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey Hans! Yeah I got i tiny bit of oak on my arms, but not enough to really be a bother. Was a nice day caving with you! Agreed, looking forward to more caving!
rudibega
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions