Welcome to Planet Mazanec (and what caves are near)

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Welcome to Planet Mazanec (and what caves are near)

Postby tmazanec1 » Aug 28, 2014 11:06 am

First, if you want to learn about me aside from caving, go to http://tmazanec1.xepher.net
Now for the good stuff. As I mentioned, I went to a cave a week or two ago. This set off one of my Asperger "flares" of intense interest, this time in caves. I mentioned my cave interest to my new guardian, my cousin Jim, and he suggested we go to a cave this Autumn (he figures it would be drier than the rest of the year).
I live in Twinsburg, and he lives in Ravenna, in NE Ohio. He has a condo in Oak Harbor, Ohio, near Port Clinton, in NW Ohio. We need a good tourist limestone cave within a couple hours driving of one of those two areas. Do you have any suggestions?
Finally, I was wondering if I could actually be a caver. I am 56 and overweight, but was formerly obese and hope to get down to normal weight. I have done things I never thought I would do, since my cousin took me under his wing, and he thinks I could succeed at such a hobby. I have no health problems aside from Asperger's and being a lifelong mouse-potato.
tmazanec1
Occasional Poster

Re: Welcome to Planet Mazanec (and what caves are near)

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Firstly, there are a lot of overweight cavers, and many, many cavers older than you. Still, the smaller and fitter you are, the more opportunities will be available to you. Go for it!

There are quite a few caves very near your home, in Geauga County, a few in Portage County, and lots more near Toledo. However, these are all small caves, and I don't know much about how to get access to them. There are quite a few cavers in northern Ohio, hopefully some of them will help you with local caves if possible. To get to an area with real good caving, southeastern PA is probably your closest option. I'll try to get some details for you.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Welcome to Planet Mazanec (and what caves are near)

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 28, 2014 1:30 pm

I just noticed that you were asking about tourist caves. Ohio Caverns is a tourist cave that is 2 hrs. 17 min. from Port Clinton, according to Google. It is the longest cave in Ohio at over 2 miles. I have only seen the undeveloped sections during a survey trip, but I hear that the tours are nice. Check out this page to see other commercial caves nearer to you. I don't know anything about them personally. http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/showcave/oh.html
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions