Hello from the Carolinas

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from the Carolinas

Postby Kyle.Lassiter » Sep 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Hello fellow cavers,
I'm finally getting around to getting an online presence for my caving hobby. I've lived in Highlands, NC (right below the Caver's Drop, actually), but currently live in Clemson, SC while I finish school. I've been caving all over TAG for years growing up, although not often enough for my liking since it is 4+ hours to any noteworthy caves; the cave bug has really bitten me in the past year or so and wish I could go more often. I'm vertically competent, and have had the privilege of enjoying many TAG classics with my father's guidance. The 2012 NSS Convention was my only opportunity so far to cave outside of TAG, and I thoroughly enjoyed the caves WV has to offer. I couldn't help but marvel at how every cave up there seemed to be over 20 miles; a far cry from TAG of course. The derecho at the end of the convention was a bummer though. I've been to the TAG Fall Cave-in every year since the mid 1990s, when it was still at Sequoyah Caverns and the carbide bombs were common-place (glad that is more or less over with!) Looking forward to being back in a few weeks...

Lately I've been learning the art of surveying through a nice cave project we've got going in Tennessee, which has been a rather unique cave filled with sandstone cobbles from start to finish. Never seen anything like it anywhere else! I have lots more to learn about caving and look forward to reading your posts.
Kyle.Lassiter
Infrequent Poster

Name: Kyle Lassiter
NSS #: 58423

Re: Hello from the Carolinas

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 24, 2013 4:44 am

Welcome, Kyle! Glad to hear you got bit by the caving bug again. Flittermouse Grotto, in Asheville, is probably the closest, active grotto to you. You are welcome to join us. Lately, we have been working a project cave in SW VA. We'd be happy to have more help.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Hello from the Carolinas

Postby Kyle.Lassiter » Sep 25, 2013 1:48 am

Flittermouse is the closest one for sure. Our family is friends with the Kettles, who I believe are members of your grotto as well. Right now my relatively rare free weekends are going to the project cave in TN, but someday I'd be happy to join you guys. Feel free to contact me anytime!
Kyle.Lassiter
Infrequent Poster

Name: Kyle Lassiter
NSS #: 58423

Return to Caver Introductions