North Alabama Cavers

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

North Alabama Cavers

Postby mwilson » Sep 4, 2013 9:10 am

Good Morning All! My 16 year old son and I have recently started caving and love it! We are heading to our first Huntsville Grotto meeting tonight. We would like to do a horizontal cave this coming Sunday. We have been researching Fox Mountain and were thinking of trying one of those. Anyone have any suggestions for a couple of newbies regarding one of these caves or another location?

Thanks!
mwilson
Infrequent Poster

Re: North Alabama Cavers

Postby Shane S » Sep 6, 2013 12:19 pm

Fox mt has a number of caves on the property. The larger ones do require some rope work even if short drops. Just down the road from Fox Mt is Howards Waterfall Cave. It is an easy beginer horizontal. I won't post a location on here but that paticular one is easy to find. It is an often visited cave but has not been totally destroyed. Just make sure you have a group of 4 or more, adaquate footware , clothes, helmet 3 sources of light per person with the main one being worn on helemt and topside contact. I know some of the people from the Huntsville Grotto. Most of them seem like super great people who can help you from what I've seen.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Postby KWW » Sep 9, 2013 8:48 pm

If you guys decide you would like to visit Howard's Waterfall I live very near there and wouldn't mind at all showing you around inside that cave. What I love most about Howard's is that you can experience a lot of different aspects as far as how to move through a cave. There is everything from long crawls to borehole passage. There is even a canyon in one area that can be maneuvered with a simple handline. And there are still some very nice areas left in tact. P.M. me if you're interested.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Postby mwilson » Sep 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks chynabear. I have sent you a PM!
mwilson
Infrequent Poster

Postby SMBFriss » Jun 4, 2014 8:51 am

I know its late, but Eudy's cave in Arab is a very nice horizontal cave and almost impossible to get lost in. It's a good length and takes about 3-4 hours to explore. Lots of stream entrances on the sides of the cave that you can climb up in and explore. PM me if you want more details
SMBFriss
New Poster

Name: Shelby Bowden
NSS #: 65462

Postby trogman » Jun 9, 2014 10:38 am

SMBFriss wrote:I know its late, but Eudy's cave in Arab is a very nice horizontal cave and almost impossible to get lost in. It's a good length and takes about 3-4 hours to explore. Lots of stream entrances on the sides of the cave that you can climb up in and explore. PM me if you want more details

SMBFriss- check your PM.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions