shoals area caver "JB"

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

shoals area caver "JB"

Postby jbhubbell » Apr 2, 2013 8:23 am

Hey guys, I'm JB and I've been crawling in caves for a while now. I started out hiking bankhead a lot and found out i like finding caves. I went and bought me a couple walmart headlamps and it was on! Now im a little more saftey oriented. Im looking for caves about every weekend so anybody wanna go let me know.
jbhubbell
Infrequent Poster

Name: JB Hubbell
NSS #: 64869
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Re: shoals area caver "JB"

Postby trogman » Apr 3, 2013 1:24 pm

JB:
I live close to the other side of the state, so I don't get over that way too often. I just thought I would post and let you know that we aren't ignoring you here on CaveChat. :waving: I assume there is just a shortage of cavers in your part of the world. I wish you the best of luck finding someone to join you.
I remember when I started caving, Wal-Mart and hardware store lights were all I had. Those horrible old Ray-O-Vac Headlights, hooked up to one of those huge 6-volt lantern batteries. Those lights put out a great beam-when they actually worked. I am glad to have gotten away from those things!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby jbhubbell » Apr 6, 2013 7:37 am

Well theres not enough to make a grotto but there are 3 or 4 really good cavers in florence that ive come across. Thanks for the reply trog and i hope to meet yall gadsden folks sometime.
jbhubbell
Infrequent Poster

Postby trogman » Apr 8, 2013 9:24 am

jbhubbell wrote:Well theres not enough to make a grotto but there are 3 or 4 really good cavers in florence that ive come across. Thanks for the reply trog and i hope to meet yall gadsden folks sometime.

Have you considered linking up with either Huntsville or Cullman Grottos? Both of these groups are fairly active, and wouldn't be too terribly far to drive.

Or, if you are motivated enough, you may want to consider starting your own grotto. If there are 3 or 4 other cavers that would join, that's a good start. It would take a lot of work, but it would save you a lot of driving, and allow you to connect with other cavers in your local area.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby jbhubbell » Apr 15, 2013 8:04 am

A shoals grotto would be awesome, i know there used to be one. Maybe in the future we could return to our former glory but youre right it would require a lot of work. Ive tried to get my friends intrested but so far no one has been bitten like i have. Hopefully some local folks will see these posts and conact me, you never know. I know my dad would setup a website and shane and zeb would prolly join but i still need 6 motivated people to make it official. We have some nice little caves in this area and im always trying to find people to take to them. Let me know if you or any of your friends want to go sometime.
jbhubbell
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott Shaw » Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I can get you a list of all the former members of the Northwest Alabama Grotto. Funny thing was that a majority didn't live there, but caved with us anyway. I'll be a member, since I cave over there more than NE AL just because of my projects I work.
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby jbhubbell » Apr 20, 2013 10:47 am

Yeah that would be great! You mentioned the projects you work in this area, are they survey projects? I understand you cant join the acs until youve been a nss member for 2 yrs but i would really like to get into cave cartography now. If you could use a hand sometime let me know.
jbhubbell
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions