Greetings from TN - New Cave 101

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Greetings from TN - New Cave 101

Postby rescuediver » Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello all,

I was a member of NSS a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to get involved as I would have liked and allowed my membership to expire, but now I have a little more time to dedicate. A little background; I'm a Public Safety Rescue Diver with the Nashville Fire Department and I'm also in law enforcement, but I'm a novice caver with little experience beyond commercial caves. With my professions, I definitely understand the concept of operational safety and personal limitations, so I'm not looking to be a John Wayne in Batman's underworld. :big grin:

The reason I joined this forum, is because I'm looking to expand my knowledge of the history and beauty of our caves. I am primarily interested in learning the techniques used in discovering new caves. I have a few books that touch on their formation in limestone, which has helped me identify what things to look for at the surface. So this past weekend, I utilized some of that information and began ridgewalking on some properties I own (in Columbia, TN) that I felt would be considered a karst landscape. I surveyed and wrote down GPS coordinates of dozens of sinkholes, fissures, sinking streams, springs, etc., and I now have a few targets that are of great interest, especially a couple that are blowing air.

I understand that many entrances have to be enlarged to gain access into a new cave system, so this is where I'm currently at. For all practical purposes, I am new at this and do not wish to cause unnecessary harm or damage that might jeopardize the environment or risk personal safety. So before I grab my pickaxe and sledge hammer, I'd like to gain as much knowledge as I can. I would be interested in talking to someone in the middle TN area who is well versed in locating new caves and that is involved with a local grotto.

(renewing my NSS membership and attending local meetings will also be a good start, but I thought I'd begin here first :grin: )
rescuediver
Infrequent Poster

Re: Greetings from TN - New Cave 101

Postby Cody JW » Nov 15, 2011 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum. I am not in your area but have been involved in cave digs up here in Indiana. I am not aware of any "correct" way to dig into a suspected cave. We just dig or use large pry bars to remove large rocks or sometimes even a come along . We do have a "rule" to get landowners permission but if you are the landowner I guess that part is covered. The first thing you might want to do is to look at any known caves in your area . It may be possible that what you have could be a previous known cave that had collapsed in or filled with flood debris . I have quite a few known locations plotted on Google Earth and took a quick glance at my list (likely not real complete) and saw some caves in the Columbia TN. area. Feel free to contact me at codyjpme@att.net if you cannot find anyone more local to help you. If I can get the coords of your features I can check it against my list on google earth to see if anything known is near you. Good luck- There are many good people in Tennessee that should be able to help you also.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 15, 2011 10:18 am

Welcome to Cavechat! :waving:

There is a contingent of cave divers in the TN area, on down into GA. Since you're a rescue diver, you might think of trying cave diving, too. :big grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tncaver » Nov 15, 2011 12:24 pm

:scuba: :cavingrocks: :flag:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions