Newbie here

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie here

Postby jasmnslamp » Aug 5, 2011 5:02 pm

Just wanting to introduce myself here, and maybe make some friends to help show me the ropes. I am in the Huntsville Al area. I find caving interesting, but most importantly preserving and conserving these beautiful secret places. I am a stay at home mom, working on my Masters in Psychology. I am also a hobby potter. I have three little girls ages 2,4,and 7. I have will be married 10 years in November. I love to be outdoors, and enjoy exploring new places. I moved here from Biloxi MS last October, and love it here in Huntsville. Hope to meet some people who are willing to have some patience to show me around and give me some tips. I want to learn how to do this responsibly and safely, and don't want to do something until I am confident about safety. I have 3 baby girls to come home to.
Last edited by jasmnslamp on Aug 6, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasmnslamp
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63355

Re: Newbie here

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 5, 2011 7:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. You couldn't be in a finer place for living and caving. The cavers around here are among the best in the world.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Marduke » Aug 5, 2011 9:42 pm

Welcome! You just missed the monthly Huntsville grotto meeting this past Wednesday evening. We meet at the Huntsville public library on the first Wednesday of every month at 19:00.

What experience do you have in caving? What sort of trips are you looking to get in on?
Last edited by Marduke on Aug 7, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jasmnslamp » Aug 5, 2011 9:57 pm

I don't have any....hence the reason why i need help getting started. I have always had a fascination with caves, but growing up on the coast did not afford the opportunity to get any experience. Aside from public tourist caves, I have never been to any other caves. I would like to be a part of the conservation efforts to help clean up the caves. I also would like to learn how to cave safely. I would like some fairly easy trips at first, and as I gain experience, then I will venture out of that realm. I truly want to learn how to cave, and maybe one day my young daughters can be the next generation of cavers. Thank you for the welcome, and I will be at the next meeting. Thanks again
Danielle Herrman
jasmnslamp
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63355

Postby Marduke » Aug 7, 2011 10:36 am

I am leading an easy trip with another first timer next Sunday, the 14th, to Limrock cave. PM me if you would be interested in going on that one.

The grotto trip in September is probably not a cave you would want for your first trip.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Newbie from Hungary

Postby Muddyeye » Oct 25, 2011 7:32 am

Hi All,

I'm a fresh meat in the Cavechat.org. Although, I'm not new for caving.
Since '95 I do this strange habit :) I'm also a member of the Hungarian Cave Rescue Service.
My job and also my main interest in caving nowadays is the blasting technique.
I'm a certified blaster for underground-surface-building-ice-underwater and seismic blasting operations. I work in pyro and explosive materials certification business.
I'm pleased to be here, I hope I can add/get something extra knowledge.

Jó szerencsét!
Glück Auf!

:waving:
Hungarian caver, member of the Hungarian cave rescue Service, certified blaster, and explosive pyrotechnics test engineer.
Muddyeye
Infrequent Poster

Postby Chief943 » Nov 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Muddyeye,
What kind of blasting do you do? What do you use? I spent the day blasting in one of my caves to open a passageway. Used pistol powder in sodastraws.....removed 12 5 gallon buckets of rock with 2 good shots.

Mark
Chief943
Occasional Poster

Name: Mark Hodge
NSS #: 63563
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Virginia Highlands Grotto

Postby Muddyeye » Nov 14, 2011 2:55 am

Dear Chief,

Thanks for your interest.
I'll answer it in the "blasting" topic, not to put many "OFF"in the introduction.
;)
Hungarian caver, member of the Hungarian cave rescue Service, certified blaster, and explosive pyrotechnics test engineer.
Muddyeye
Infrequent Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forums! Lots of cool people and interesting information here. Cept' from me. I don't know nuthin'. :grin:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Return to Caver Introductions