Relocate to Caving Area & Meet Fellow Cavers - Suggestions

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Relocate to Caving Area & Meet Fellow Cavers - Suggestions

Postby prjrvp » Dec 8, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi,

I live in central Florida where there are no caves. I am a former member of Kansas City Area Grotto, and miss caving and cavers tremendously. There are no people under the surface of this planet like cavers! :)

As my business finishes getting built, I will be able to move anywhere in about 6 months. I would like to move somewhere where I can go caving without driving larger distances, have plenty of cavers to go with, and ideally since I am 44 and single, I would like to find a female soul mate who is caver too. I am thinking of TN/KY in the US and New Zealand for outside the US, but I am very open to suggestions. Any suggestions on where you think might be a good place or any other helpful suggestions, let me know. Any further questions, let me know too. I would appreciate any and all help as I prepare.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
Paul Johnson
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto - Former Member

Re: Relocate to Caving Area & Meet Fellow Cavers - Suggestio

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 8, 2010 1:53 pm

Start going to all the regional and national caver gatherings: NSS Convention, OTR, TAG Fall Cave-In, SERA, VAR, MAR, MVOR, Karst-O-Rama, SpeleoFest, Cave Cavort, Crawlathon, etc, etc. You'll quickly get a feel for many cave areas and meet lots of cavers, including cave babes. I imagine that if you are looking for a mate, you will end up settling where she is already. Good luck!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 8, 2010 2:12 pm

Hehe this post sounds like me in reverse and younger generation.

(As soon as I finish my grad degree I plan on moving towards Atlanta since there is a lot of good biotech there for jobs and it's much much closer to caves! wee TAG! But I'm female and 24. Well, okay, not 24 yet. Give it a few days :P Will be when I move though.)

If you want AWESOME caves and caving community, try Mendip area, England. Although you're not gonna find single gals there either, most of 'em get started through cave clubs at universities and have a partner long before they are in their 40's. They get snached up quick I hear. I know three of 'em tried hittin' on me while I was there, and I was just an American visitor! But you know....oooooh single female caver! :woohoo: Or as I think it was Hatstand said caver part had nothing to do with it, just being female and single and there was enough haha. Funny, that has yet to happen to me in the States though.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rebelfirefighter » Dec 8, 2010 3:52 pm

Move to Chattanooga, Tn or there abouts. Its downtown TAG. You can be to a ton of caves in no time.
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby prjrvp » Dec 8, 2010 4:08 pm

rebelfirefighter wrote:Move to Chattanooga, Tn or there abouts. Its downtown TAG. You can be to a ton of caves in no time.

You are the second person to mention that area. Approximately how many caves in an hours drive, and appx how may cavers in the grotto?
Paul
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Postby Mudduck » Dec 8, 2010 4:42 pm

More caves than you could visit in a lifetime.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby NZcaver » Dec 8, 2010 5:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. :waving:

TAG has lots of caves, so does the desert southwest, parts of the Midwest, Hawaii (if you like lava tubes), and more.

New Zealand has nice caves too. :grin: Good luck in your "quest."
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby prjrvp » Dec 8, 2010 5:55 pm

Mudduck wrote:More caves than you could visit in a lifetime.

You should be a salesperson. That is a major selling point for me. Now to find single female cavers to explore with. ;) :tonguecheek:
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 8, 2010 6:21 pm

My friend told me there are litterally thousands of caves in TAG and hundreds worth the trip. Not sure how accurate that is, but sure has sold me on moving down south. Well that and everything else. I feel like we should make a "singles thread" listing though hehe. I stumbled across a cave (show) they do weddings in. I mean seriously, how sweet is that? Best wedding photos EVER. I'll stop being crazy now.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby prjrvp » Dec 8, 2010 6:30 pm

Sungura wrote:My friend told me there are litterally thousands of caves in TAG and hundreds worth the trip. Not sure how accurate that is, but sure has sold me on moving down south. Well that and everything else. I feel like we should make a "singles thread" listing though hehe. I stumbled across a cave (show) they do weddings in. I mean seriously, how sweet is that? Best wedding photos EVER. I'll stop being crazy now.

Sungura,
I agree, there probably should be a forum for singles. Cavers are a unique breed of people that you can trust with your life. Few groups can say that about (most) of their members. As far as wanting a soul mate who is a caver, I know I want it. I regretted moving away in 1999 from the caving region. I walways wanted to create a business that would give me the freedom to cave; and I finally stumbled upon it. I am trying to search the web for what "TAG" is and what area it covers, but I have not found the same thing you are speaking of.
So, who do we need to contant about setting up some kind of singles area on the system? NZcaver - Any ideas? Forum, Section? What do you think.

Paul
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 8, 2010 6:34 pm

TAG is Tennessee - Alabama - Georgia. They all meet up and have a happy little cave area. :)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 8, 2010 6:36 pm

Sungura wrote:I stumbled across a cave (show) they do weddings in. I mean seriously, how sweet is that? Best wedding photos EVER. I'll stop being crazy now.

Most show caves allow wedding ceremonies by special arrangement. I have a number of friends who were married in caves around the US. I've even been the photographer for one of them.

prjrvp wrote:I am trying to search the web for what "TAG" is and what area it covers, but I have not found the same thing you are speaking of.

TAG is "Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia" and more specifically the region at the confluence of the three states, which has a high density of caves. TAG is nice, but it isn't the only place in the US with more caves than you could see in a lifetime. Check out Arizona some time. :wink:

So, who do we need to contant about setting up some kind of singles area on the system? NZcaver - Any ideas? Forum, Section? What do you think.

Not sure. We'll have to discuss the idea.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 8, 2010 6:46 pm

Ooh oops. I put one in the sensitive member-only section. Feel free to delete it.
(personally I"m not taking it seriously just for fun and it would be hillariously awesome if people actually hooked up and everything too, admit it!)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Dec 9, 2010 10:45 am

I highly recommend Colorado Springs....Lots of caves to explore in Williams Canyon and lots of girls in our grottos. Come to the 2011 convention in Colorado and you might never go home. :kewl: http://www.wcp.coloradocaves.org/
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 9, 2010 10:59 am

TAG, more caves than you could visit in a life time. True words. 4300+ caves in alabama, 9300+ caves in tennessee, 1600+ caves in georgia. Deepest pits in the states are where these 3 states come together. A true vertical playground and most of the cavers there aren't in grottos, from what the locals have told me.

I love it down there and if I had the chance to relocate to chattanooga, i would do it in a heartbeat.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Introductions