Hello, new friends!

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello, new friends!

Postby Chaplain » Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm searching for information regarding a cave in South Dakota. I discovered the cave North of Jewel Cave in Hell's Canyon in the mid to late 1970s. It was (initially) named 'Porcupine Cave'.

I spent four different nights exploring the cave with friends, and then went to Jewel Cave and talked to a 'Ranger' or Naturalist about my discovery. He showed up the next night with all the appropriate gear we needed to safely explore the cave a couple of more hours.

I did receive one map of the cave from a member(s) of the NSS a few months after the discovery. I was told the cave is the largest discovered (to that date) at that altitude (highest altitude?) in Hell's Canyon. At the time, just over 300 ft of the cave had been surveyed and mapped. I've not heard anything about this cave since. I would sure like to know more about it!

Any help would be appreciated!

PEACE!
Chaplain
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello, new friends!

Postby SDcaver » Dec 1, 2010 11:18 am

We have almost completed the survey of Porcupine Cave and it stands at a little over 2500 feet long. There are two domes in the main room that I would like to climb before calling the survey completed.
SDcaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Marc Ohms
NSS #: 31288
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

WOW! SDcaver ...

Postby Chaplain » Dec 1, 2010 6:08 pm

That is so cool!

Are the domes after the 'tight squeeze'?

Could you tell me if I can get maps or pictures of the cave? I remember facinating 'box work' with crustation fossiles inside ... and popcorn (?) that looked like it poured out into a 'dome'. There was a place or two that we climbed (with assistance from a 'ranger' at Jewel Cave).

I can tell you how I spotted the cave, if anybody is interested. And, I can tell you about the ten boys from Boys Town, NE that were with me on the first three days of cave exploration!

You are so cool! Thanks, SDcaver!

PEACE
Chaplain Kelly

Chaplain
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions