UG-PNW

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

UG-PNW

Postby NWSurveyor » Oct 30, 2010 11:02 am

Howdy!
I've been in and out of caves for about 15 years, I guess. I was a volunteer on a local mountain rescue team for about 10 of those years. Within the response area exists more than a few dozen lava tubes. Only a few of which are know to the GP. As a team member I began exploring the less well known tubes and quickly realized the rescue difficulties we could potentially face in this environment. I attended a NCRC Self Rescue Course under John Punches instruction. I was part of more than a few actual cave rescues while on the team - fortunately with little vertical aspects and no fatalities. I spent a good amount of time working on cave rescue SOP's for the team before leaving. I am not currently a member a the local Grotto or the MRA. Though I have to admit, my true passion still lies in the mountains, I have a good spelunking partner now and I think he and I will be broadening our reaches in search of more diverse caves in the not too distant future. More to come....
Mike
The dead know only one thing, that it is better to be alive.
-FMJ
NWSurveyor
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael
NSS #: 62791
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon Grotto

Re: UG-PNW

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Welcome :waving: (rather late! It's as if your post had disappeared into the ether....) Joined the local grotto yet? Been caving? :cavingrocks:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby NWSurveyor » Nov 1, 2010 9:46 am

Strangely, every post I've made has taken a day or more to show on the forum... is that normal?
We're planning a cave trip in a few weeks. One we've been to before, but this time we're going to bypass a ladder near the entrance and rig some SRT systems for training. We also decided we would go to the next Grotto meeting and join.
-FMJ
NWSurveyor
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 1, 2010 10:12 am

Mike, I share your taste in music.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby NWSurveyor » Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:Welcome :waving: (rather late! It's as if your post had disappeared into the ether....) Joined the local grotto yet? Been caving? :cavingrocks:

Cheryl

Well we went to the last Grotto meeting intending to join but their membership person wasn’t there. This next Friday is another meeting so I plan to go and try again.
We’ve done of few small trips around Mt. Saint Helens area since these posts. One into Lake Cave for some vertical training and just yesterday we hiked to Lil’ Red River Cave. I noticed they placed a WNS placard at the entrance of Lil’ Red.
Pictures in Lake Cave: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnicholsnw/sets/72157625272767121/show/
Pictures in Little Red River Cave: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnicholsnw/sets/72157625457446489/show/
-FMJ
NWSurveyor
Frequent Poster

Postby NWSurveyor » Jan 4, 2011 8:49 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:Welcome :waving: (rather late! It's as if your post had disappeared into the ether....) Joined the local grotto yet? Been caving? :cavingrocks:

Cheryl

Joined the NSS and attended a few local grotto meetings, but the membership person hasn't been there to accept my app. next time.
Since posting here we have visited a few caves. Nothing new to us, but focused on the vertical.

Cody JW wrote:Mike, I share your taste in music.

He was an amazing artist.
-FMJ
NWSurveyor
Frequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions