Michiganian caver, learning to cave in UK

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Michiganian caver, learning to cave in UK

Postby orphan_anni » Jun 3, 2010 10:10 am

Hi, my name is Annie, and although I'm originally from Michigan, I'm currently at university in Manchester, UK. I'm a member of the caving club here, and have really enjoyed the past year. Now I'm heading back to the States for the summer, and am interested in finding out more about caving in the US. I'll be staying near Detroit all summer, and then it's back to Manchester, and the lovely British caves :) But for now, I'm looking forward to meeting some American cavers!
orphan_anni
New Poster

Re: Michiganian caver, learning to cave in UK

Postby NZcaver » Jun 3, 2010 12:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You could try contacting a local grotto (caving club) in the area. Click here

Good luck!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 3, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Annie,

From Detroit your closest good caving areas will be Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky just a little further south. West Virginia is also well within reach.

My wife and I used to live in Michigan and would make the 5 hour drive to Southern Indiana about once a month. It was well worth it every time!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Ooh sorry I didn't get on this forum earlier...if you are still around (I doubt it, uni has started in the UK again) we should hook up. I"m a member in the MKC and every 3rd weekend during the summer we have a work weekend up north which includes a cave trip to our basically only cave we know of worth mentioning in michigan (or so I"m told). I am not sure when the trips start in Spring (I want to say April?) and they continue until October. I'm not going this weekend but I will be going in October. I am down by Detroit myself.

Also, I should look you up in Manchester, I'll hopefully be in England in November and I want to get to at least one cave while I am there! :) I'm not sure where Manchester is though...which is odd as my UK geography is pretty good (I was there last year, before I knew about caving haha, and I have at least 20 friends who live there, and I've looked into hopping the pond myself after grad school.)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions