New caver in MO

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New caver in MO

Postby Daotto » May 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey everyone. I am interested in caving, always have been, but never got into it seriously. Now, up here near St Louis, I figure this is a great time to take advantage of living here for a while and get into it. How would I go about starting? Hit the local tour-led caves and meet people? I really want to go by myself or with a few friends, not on tours, but I have no freakin clue where to start.
Daotto
Infrequent Poster

Re: New caver in MO

Postby Chads93GT » May 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Hello. I live about an hour south of St. Louis and am the current SEMO Grotto president. If you are a beginner, you should try hooking up with the MVG, Meramec Valley Grotto, or the MMV Middle Mississippi Grotto in St. LOuis. You can find their web pages by clicking on the "Find local caving club" link at the top of the page.

I extremely discourage you wanting to go caving solo. Google Floyd Collins if you want to find out what happend to him as the result of caving solo. While normally I would invite you to a SEMO meeting, there is only one problem, our meetings are held in the caves when we survey. The other problem is 99% of the time we are doing vertical river caves so its definately not even close to a beginners cave.

While I cannot speak for the other grotto's in St. Louis, I do know that they do have active cavers as well who do all sorts of projects. Don't get frustrated if it takes you a while to "get in" as I had to bug the semo grotto for many months just to take me on a trip and I live in the cave capitol of MIssouri.

Caving is expensive when you really get into it, and vertical caving is really hard on the pocket book. If you are interested in vertical caving, then start reading books. On Rope is a great book to read, as well as other vertical ropework books. My first "ascent" out of a pit cost me about $20 as I already had a figure 8, climbing harness, and biners. I started climbing on Knots. I figure if someone is driven to learn like I was, and still am, they will do whatever they have to do to learn (im 90% self taught), and go on their first trips as cheap as possible. While climbing out on knots sucks, its how I started till I had the money to start buying ascenders and modifying my rig into what I have today.

I encourage you to goto the next MVOR event in the fall near Hannibal MO, its a large caving event and you will meet tons of cavers, and even get to go on some cave trips in areas you normally wouldnt ever go. Good luck, and check out both of those grottos. They are WAY more organized than my grotto is, as they actually have meeting places, and meeting times scheduled. Good Luck

Chad McCain
SEMO Grotto
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but I googled Floyd Collins and I'm kind of confused as to why a second person would have kept him alive. Wikipedia mentioned something about a rock pinning his leg and it not weighing much. Is it a common belief that had someone been behind him, they could have easily removed the rock from off his leg? Obviously, if he had a companion (or companions) with him, they would have to of been behind him and not in front of him to be of any help.

Not trying to contradict you or anything. I'm sure if someone was there when it happened, things could have turned out differently. I suppose I'm just curious if you or anyone else could add a little bit to the story...
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » May 19, 2010 8:37 pm

If you read the story than you know as much as anyone else. It would make sense that if someone were behind him, they *could* have freed him.

Hell, Google Aron Ralston. That would have turned out differently if 1. He would have told someone where he was, and 2. Others were with him. Granted I am not going to compare hiking/canyoneering to caving, as I go hiking solo all the time, but someone knows where I am and when to expect me back. If you go caving by yourself, you could get hurt deep in the cave, or trapped, and without anyone with you, you would be SOL for help.

I realize that some people go caving solo, I simply don't condone it, but then again, I guess that would depend on the cave ;)

My point was simply trying to convey safety to a beginner.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Well put. Safety is paramount in any cave. Caves are wondrous places, but can be doubly dangerous. When you get right down to it, there's really no excuse to go caving by oneself. There are obvious advantages in having other people with you, but I can't think of a single advantage in being by yourself.

A chronic "flatulator" who blames his condition on the lasagna he ate last night may be an exception, but still, I'd rather have him along than to be SOL in a cave. :big grin:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Daotto » May 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

As far as caving solo, I really do not want to be taking on anything risky, which is why I would like to learn about the different caves in the area before going out. Looks like there are a few friends interested also, so I imagine I will be going with a group.

I will definitely look into getting to know some of the groups in the area. Thanks.
Daotto
Infrequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, by joining the grotto, you eventually learn where the caves are, learn who the land owners are, gain permission and learn from others as well. Its a good experience.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions