New from the PNW

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New from the PNW

Postby JIBTEXHNKA » Apr 28, 2010 5:13 am

Hi!

The only caves I've ever been in are the lava caves near Mt St Helens and the Oregon Caves near Cave Junction... mmm touristy goodness. I do, however, know a thing or two (as in, less than three things) about vertical rope techniques and I am very interested in learning more and being able to apply that to caving someday. I am a somewhat-beginner rock climber who likes to play with ropes, pretty much. I read as much as I can so my "knowledge" outweighs my "skill" quite a bit, which probably just helps make me dangerously confident in my own ability ( :shhh: ) although I've done ok so far.

Long story short, I want to learn as much as I can about rigging and rope rescue and things of that nature, even if I never go in a cave (although I DO really wanna go in caves!). So hopefully you all don't get annoyed with my silly n00b questions!
JIBTEXHNKA
Infrequent Poster

Name: James Jones
NSS #: 62270
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Re: New from the PNW

Postby NZcaver » Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum. :waving:

Assuming you live in Oregon or Washington, there are plenty of active cavers around to hook up with if you want to. Check out the NSS Grotto Finder to locate an organization near you.

Cascade Grotto (Seattle) are planning a trip to Ape Cave and neighboring caves next month. That one is not a vertical trip, but there is a vertical practice session scheduled in Seattle this weekend. PM me and I can send you the details. As you may know vertical caving uses different techniques and equipment to rock climbing, and I recommend attending some training/practice sessions with experienced cavers before going vertical caving. Most cavers are more than willing to share their knowledge of vertical caving, and let you try out gear. Good luck!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby jeffkruse » Apr 28, 2010 12:03 pm

There are a few caves that require some serious vertical work near Snoqualmie pass on I90. The hike to the caves is called Cave Ridge/Guy peak.
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Postby NZcaver » Apr 28, 2010 12:40 pm

jeffkruse wrote:There are a few caves that require some serious vertical work near Snoqualmie pass on I90. The hike to the caves is called Cave Ridge/Guy peak.

Indeed. Still lots of snow up there last week when I drove by.

Jib, you should hook up with the Cascade Grotto. Unfortunately their website has been down for months due to server relocation delays. I'm no longer in the region, but I'm pretty sure local cavers will be visiting the ridge this summer. PM me if you'd like meeting/contact details.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby tncaver » Apr 28, 2010 5:37 pm

NZ,
You certainly do move around a lot. What do you do for a living?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 28, 2010 5:47 pm

tncaver wrote:NZ,

I moderate a caving forum. :big grin:

But seriously John, it's a long story. If we bump into each other some time, I'll explain everything. :beer30:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby tncaver » Apr 28, 2010 5:57 pm

NZcaver wrote:
tncaver wrote:NZ,

I moderate a caving forum. :big grin:

But seriously John, it's a long story. If we bump into each other some time, I'll explain everything. :beer30:

:beer30: Sounds good. Any chance you will make it to the SERA Cave Carnival this summer here in TN?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 28, 2010 9:47 pm

I won't be at SERA. I'll be sweltering in the desert this summer instead. I've never been caving in TN, but maybe I'll get there one of these days. I'll be in Alabama for NCRC in a couple of weeks, though.

Guess we should stop hijacking this guy's intro! :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby JIBTEXHNKA » Apr 29, 2010 1:43 am

NZcaver wrote:
Guess we should stop hijacking this guy's intro! :tonguecheek:

Seriously, what's the big idea?? :laughing:

I live in Tacoma, just a ways south of Seattle. I noticed the Cascade Grotto site was down... Should I just send them an email or something? I would love to get in on a practice session! I've been practicing on my own with the gear I have just for fun and to test out what I've learned from reading, but it'd be great to learn from people who really know what they're doing.

NZcaver, I'll be sending you a PM for sure!
JIBTEXHNKA
Infrequent Poster

Name: James Jones
NSS #: 62270
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions