Hello from Modesto, California

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jason95357 » Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm

I've been trying to reach out my local grottos, but unfortunately things change over time, but old stale websites do not and are often not maintained and contact information goes out of date. I've sent emails, tried to join the Western Region groups.io group, etc., but I've not heard anything back. I'm sure folks have lives, as as someone who has lead volunteer groups, I know it can take time to get a response.

I understand that Modesto is/was home to the Stanislaus Speleological Association, and nearby is the Columbia Grotto up where I hike. If anyone is a member of these grottos or can point me to current contact info, that'd be much appreciated. Ok, here's what I've sent to the contacts I could find:

I live in Modesto and like to hike in the foothills around Jamestown and the like along HWY 108 and HWY 4, and camp up around Longbarn and beyond in the Stanislaus NF. I've stumbled across a number of caves and mines that I want to poke my head into, but I've watched enough videos on YouTube to know that I need a good "bad gas" and oxygen sensor first. Of course there are dozens of them on the market, some cheap (perhaps too cheap), and I really don't want to die because I wanted to save a few bucks. Mostly looking for insight at this stage. I'm reading all the good info I can as the main NSS caves.org website.

I've been to all of the local Calaveras and Tuolumne "tourist caves" and done the basic tours over the years. This season I'm going to return to Moaning Cavern and do one of the extensive tours and start to get my feet more wet in limestone caving.

I've been to Lava Beds Nat. Monument a couple of times on week-long camping and exploring trips, and that's what really got me bitten and wanting to explore more. I really wasn't sure before if I could handle small or tight places, but I've found at Lava Beds that I can and do enjoy it. I had an excellent guide and we spent most of that first trip time off of the public trails on in the hidden/back country areas visiting unmarked caves. The second trip I brought a friend and we did all of the tourist ones along Cave Loop, which while nice, are very... touristy. I'm guessing that may be the same for karst caves as well, that I'd enjoy the off-tourist ones more than the formal tours.

Jason95357
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello from Modesto, California

Postby Jason95357 » Apr 9, 2021 6:57 pm

I have heard back from my local grotto. They've been on and will continue to be on hiatus due to COVID until probably May or June.
Jason95357
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions