Hello from Europe

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Europe

Postby vanja » Jun 14, 2018 12:22 am

My name is Vanja. I'm half retired caver from Europe. Slovenia. It would be like 42 years since my first cave, so I have enough mileage to ease down. :-) But as I grow old and stiff I visit less caves and do more field surveying and programming software for cavers.
Anyhow ...

Hello to all!
vanja
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello from Europe

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 14, 2018 8:35 am

vanja wrote:My name is Vanja. I'm half retired caver from Europe. Slovenia. It would be like 42 years since my first cave, so I have enough mileage to ease down. :-) But as I grow old and stiff I visit less caves and do more field surveying and programming software for cavers.
Anyhow ...

Hello to all!

Welcome to cave chat! I'm about that many years since my first cave, too! :waving:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby CaverScott » Jun 14, 2018 9:22 am

Welcome to the Forum! :kewl: :cavingrocks: :bat sticker:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby trogman » Jun 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Vanja!
What type of software programming do you do? Cave mapping/surveying?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby vanja » Jun 17, 2018 11:25 am

I'm putting together larger project. It is a system of tools, web sites and databases woven in single package. Currently I have mostly built maps for surveying, cave catalog and web engine that put's all that together. It can be used as personal cavers map/surveying/catalog/web system, as clubs system or national central catalog/maps/surveying system or all of above.
Whole project is completely free and based on open source software. It can be built in practically any language. English beta version will be ready in few weeks time for download. This thing can be run on personal PC, server or any virtual host. Run's on Linux, MAc or WIndows10, and can be used with any web browser. Complete system is mobile ready. That is it can be used on smart phones on-line and off-line.

Best thing is it takes just one command to install and build system on server or private PC. And whole system is independent of host OS.

If this start will get some tracking, plan is to add cave mapping, and various tools to help cavers do better on more professional records and research.
I'll present this to public when ready. Hope soon. Some 6 month of hard work is put in.
vanja
Infrequent Poster

Postby vanja » Jun 17, 2018 11:40 am

Ups :-)
Forgot to mention. Anyone with some programming systems knowledge is welcome to participate in developers team. But keep in mind. Whole thing is, must be and will be free and open sourced.
vanja
Infrequent Poster

Postby vanja » Jun 18, 2018 1:48 am

I'm building system that includes maps, field surveying, cave catalogs with documents and images, .... Complete system is free and open source. And we need partners in team. :-)
vanja
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions