how to tell Suunto Compass region

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

how to tell Suunto Compass region

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 17, 2010 10:04 pm

All

Anyway to figure the zone for which a KB-compass was made? I'm looking at mine and can't find it. Can you query Suunto with the serial number?

Thanks

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Re: how to tell Suunto Compass region

Postby George Dasher » Feb 17, 2010 10:26 pm

North America, Europe, and Central and north Asia make up Zone 1.

Plus that has to be Suunto's best market.

Therefore, I'd think you'd be safe assuming that your compass is calibrated for this zone.

:cold:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby driggs » Feb 18, 2010 12:22 am

Dwight Livingston wrote:Anyway to figure the zone for which a KB-compass was made? I'm looking at mine and can't find it. Can you query Suunto with the serial number?

According to the Suunto Tandem manual, "the balancing zone, if other than one, is indicated on the back of the instrument below the serial number."

However, the KB-series manual says only:

The compass rose has been balanced to meet the conditions prevailing in the intended area of use. When using the compass elsewhere (e.g. during travel abroad), the vertical variation in the global magnetic field causes the rose to tilt. This may make it difficult to take a bearing.

Suunto's website says that the KB is "available for 5 geographic balancing zones ", perhaps it is labeled (or unlabeled in Zone 1) just like the Tandem?

I just checked a Tandem and a KB; both had KB-14/360R cards, but no indication of zone on the card or housing (which is consistent with the above for use in the US).
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Feb 18, 2010 10:30 am

George Dasher wrote:Therefore, I'd think you'd be safe assuming that your compass is calibrated for this zone.

Allow me to paraphrase George's response.

Dwight: I'd like to know which zone this compass is for
George: No you wouldn't
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby NZcaver » Feb 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
George Dasher wrote:Therefore, I'd think you'd be safe assuming that your compass is calibrated for this zone.

Allow me to paraphrase George's response.

Dwight: I'd like to know which zone this compass is for
George: No you wouldn't

:rofl:

Usually the zone is printed on the box. If you don't have the box, I guess you could try contacting Suunto with the serial number and see if they can help. :shrug: Or you could just put the compass flat on a (non metallic) table and see if the disc balance is approximately horizontal. If it does, you're probably fine using it in your home region. If not, you might have to tilt it a bit each time you use it. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Well, I like knowing about the physical check, but in this Ebay-driven case, I'd like to figure this from pictures. I will try sending the serial number to Suunto and see what I get. If I get a response, I'll post here.

Thanks

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm

If it's an eBay seller in the US, it's a pretty safe bet the Suunto is zone 1 (as George said earlier).

They're used by virtually every dish installer.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Bob Thrun » Feb 19, 2010 3:21 am

NZcaver wrote:If it's an eBay seller in the US, it's a pretty safe bet the Suunto is zone 1 (as George said earlier).

If driggs is correct, the Suunto compass that you use in New Zealand should have the zone marked.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 19, 2010 4:43 am

Bob Thrun wrote:
NZcaver wrote:If it's an eBay seller in the US, it's a pretty safe bet the Suunto is zone 1 (as George said earlier).

If driggs is correct, the Suunto compass that you use in New Zealand should have the zone marked.

I own several zone 1 compasses, but not the zone 5 version recommended for New Zealand. This is because I've done virtually all my surveying in the US, and because zone 1 compasses are far more plentiful and therefore cheaper (when purchased in used condition, at least). When I'm in zone 2 (Hawaii) or other places, I just tilt the compass a little. I'd hate to think how much Suunto dealers in NZ charge for zone 5 compasses.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 19, 2010 8:44 am

All

Suunto can't help. The zone is on the package but not on the compass. They can't say from the serial number.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

While talking to a Suunto rep about finding out the right Tandem to get for the Zone covering Peru I was told the new Tandems are globally calibrated, which is denoted by a G at the end of the model number like this....SUUNTO TANDEM 360PC/360R G. I cant find a zone 3 used Tandem anywhere for sale, and maybe this is already common knowledge, but Its the first I heard about it. So if you are going to buy a Tandem and you may see yourself surveying other than USA, EU, RUS (or along those Lats) try to get a G model and save yourself some headaches.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum