Trying to get my PDA to talk to my DistoX

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to get my PDA to talk to my DistoX

Postby John Lovaas » Aug 7, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm having an issue, and maybe the lucky few who have gotten a DistoX up and running can help me.

I've installed the DistoX board in a Leica A3, and everything works. I just bought an HP iPaq 210, and PocketTopo runs on it.

I used the PDA's connection wizard to identify which port I need to connect to the DIstoX(COM1). The PDA sees the DistoX at COM1, so I know the Bluetooth is operating on the DistoX. When I try to connect using the HP connection wizard, it prompts me to "enter a PIN code to pair with the device DistoX". Entering nothing accomplishes nothing. So the connection fails. I've set the port in Pocket Topo, and when I try to begin the calibration process, PocketTopo indicates the connection failed. Nothing happens when I try to manually or automatically connect in PocketTopo.

I've tried deselected anything in the Bluetooth profile that might require authentication, without effect. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know what the PIN code might be? There's is no discussion of this at Beat's website. And yes, I've emailed him.

Thanks! jl
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Trying to get my PDA to talk to my DistoX

Postby lleblanc » Aug 7, 2009 5:00 pm

When I try to connect using the HP connection wizard, it prompts me to "enter a PIN code to pair with the device DistoX".

Enter 0000

--
Luc Le Blanc
http://www.speleo.qc.ca/Auriga
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby John Lovaas » Aug 7, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Luc-

That worked! But only in the Bluetooth manager.

When I open up PocketTopo and select Calibration, then Start, I get a 'connection failed' message in PocketTopo. The Bluetooth symbol in the DistoX is still blinking, which means it is still connected to the PDA, but PocketTopo disagrees.
Nothing changes on the DIstoX- I don't get a 'CAL' indicator on the DIstoX screen.

I was able to get the DistoX into 'CAL' mode by using the Disto keypad. However, the software still does not communicate with the Disto.

FYI- I'm running Windows Mobile 6.0 Classic with the .NET 2.0 SP2 already installed in the device.

So I can get the PDA to connect to the DistoX, but I cannot get the software to communicate with the DistoX- which means I have about $675US of useless junk sitting here in front of me at the moment ;-(

Looking forward to any other suggestions.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lleblanc » Aug 7, 2009 11:31 pm

John Lovaas wrote:That worked! But only in the Bluetooth manager.

That's as far as I can help you on a Pocket PC. This 0000 PIN is documented in the DistoX manual.

Beat is on holidays but he wrote me he should be back home around the 10, (Monday). Good luck.

So I can get the PDA to connect to the DistoX, but I cannot get the software to communicate with the DistoX- which means I have about $675US of useless junk sitting here in front of me at the moment ;-(

A Palm OS PDA would be cheaper AND I could help you :)))

Luc Le Blanc
http://www.speleo.qc.ca/Auriga
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby John Lovaas » Aug 8, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Luc-

I've got it going now- turns out the COM port# in PocketTopo is different than the COM# for the Disto X. I just had to find it by trial and error- thanks to Beat Heeb and Lynn BRucker, who got back to me last night.

I found the reference to the 0000 code this AM; that paragragh also explains how to get the COM# for the PocketTopo port. In my PDA, the Bluetooth manager shows COM1- and that's not the right number for PocketTopo.

My interest in the Disto X/PocketTopo is streamlining the sketcher workflow, and I'm going to be working out of a kayak, doing small sea caves.

Thanks!
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Footleg » Aug 11, 2009 4:21 am

I wrote a detailed guide for how to do this on the UKCaving forum:

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,8543.0.html
Footleg
Frequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum