Walls and multiple caves Help!

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Walls and multiple caves Help!

Postby rchrds » Jul 11, 2009 3:13 am

Okay- here is the deal- I have two small caves separated by a few hundred meters, and wish to show them on the same map (using walls) so here is how I have it set up:

Project folder
Cave 1
survey day 1
Cave 2
survey day 2

I have no georef set in the project properties, but each entrance located in the cave georef tab. I have the zero datum for each cave identified with a #flag directive in each survey day file. After I compile all the files and then compile the project, it only shows the first cave and not both caves- what am I missing?

Thanks!
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: Walls and multiple caves Help!

Postby Spike » Jul 14, 2009 5:06 pm

I think there are pultiple issuses compounding the problem.

1. Walls does not reconize the datum station as having the coordinates listed in the properties dialog. Those coordinates are only used to get the program started when calculating declination using the #date directive.

2. Every elimate in the data hierarchy can either have it's own properties or inherit them. And these are only used when compiling each data set or subset. For example, 2 surveys(2 .SRV files) can each have different properties and each can be compiled seperately. Both can be in the same project which has it's own set of properties. The 2 files can inherit those properties as well. When say the project is compiled, the individual properties are not looked at. In operation any thing you can highlighted to compile can have it's own set of properties.

3. To get a survey(or string of connected surveys) to have relavent coordinates for the stations you must, MUST, have a #fix statement for at least one of the stations. In your case the 2 surveys are not connected and you will need a #fix statement for each cave.

Your #fix statements should look something like

#fix A0 540719 4199849 287
where
A0 is the first station
540719 is the easting
4199849 is the northing
287 is elevation in meters
you could do 963f for feet.

and

#fix B0 540730 4199800 289
for the second survey.

Compile those in the same project and both should show up.
Make sure to assign a meaningful location to the project properties if you want to use the #date data for declination.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby rchrds » Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am

Spike, thanks for the answer, but it isn't helping much- I think that I must have something wrong in the coding- any possibility that you could take a look at it (very small project, more for testing, as the map was finished in illustrator a week ago) and see what exactly I am doing wrong? This is really driving me crazy, and it should't be that difficult.

Here is a link to the file-
http://www.box.net/shared/hyc7595vt6

Thanks, and for any other suggestions on formatting- I have a couple of large projects waiting to get started and I need to figure this out before I can go forward with the round-tripping business, which I also cannot get to work correctly... haha

THanks!

Jason
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 16, 2009 3:40 pm

I played around with this a bit, and I wasn't able to get this to work with the #FIX directives in the individual SRV files either. Not 100% sure why; I did notice that one of them incorrectly specified the unit order as ENU instead of NEU for the location data, which I presume is a typo. Anyway, here's how I DID get it to work:

Comment out (or remove) the #FIX directive in each individual SRV file
Create a new SRV at the top of the project tree, call it "GPS" or "GPS coordinates" or something and make a corresponding SRV
Put both of your coordinates into this file as follows:

#units meters order=NEU
#fix 0DATUM N35:48:34 W85:21:04 1100f
#fix a:0DATUM N35:48:35 W85:21:04 1100f

This is a nice, clean way to manage your GPS coordinates on a large project anyway.
Screenshot attached!

Spike and I will both be unavailable for a few days, so don't panic if additional questions go unanswered until sometime next week. :big grin:

PS - with caves this close, I'd have just run a survey shot from one zero datum to the other anyway, even if it's over a hundred feet. Much more accurate, especially if you're going to have overlapping passages when you draft the plan view.

"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum