which disto to get???

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

which disto to get???

Postby reeffish1073 » Jun 9, 2009 4:36 am

which disto do i need to get to be able to use the bluetooth and have the data go into a smart phone or pda. i want to be able to use this with the associated caving software for either too. any help would be appreciated!
John Christie
NSS-58065
Chair / Conservation Chair
Flittermouse grotto
Russell County Director VSS
reeffish1073
Prolific Poster

Name: john christie
NSS #: 58065
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse grotto

Re: which disto to get???

Postby Martin Sluka » Jun 9, 2009 6:10 am

reeffish1073 wrote:which disto do i need to get to be able to use the bluetooth and have the data go into a smart phone or pda. i want to be able to use this with the associated caving software for either too. any help would be appreciated!

It depends on the style you want to use it. For simple measurement only any one with bluetooth is enough, but Hilty produces much more rugged ones. The PD 38 has feature to draw sketch.

If you don't want the DistoX (A3 + compass and clino module - paperless.bheeb.ch) than A8 and D8 are favorites. One may measure on surface too, or the points, which are not possible to measure by laser beam - for example height of tree, thanks to the build in camera.

And one important note - check if the disto has delayed measurement. Just to prevent shaking when one pressed the button.

Martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Re: which disto to get???

Postby WUSS CVR » Jun 20, 2009 5:38 pm

There are only two Distos with Bluetooth built in, the A6 and D8. The A6 was released three years ago and the D8 was released earlier this year. The A6 works with Auriga on a Palm but I cant speak to the D8 yet.
WUSS CVR
Infrequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum