Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby cavedoc » Apr 11, 2009 2:41 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Hi Mike. :waving: There sure are a lot of keyboard kavers out there now.

I like the idea of the Cave Compass. I have been using the same thing, except in the a 3 dimensional version with a Silva compass. Sort of like this:
Image

Works the same way. It takes a lot of thought out of sketching. Just turn the dial and line it up. Pretty simple.

:exactly: :yeah that: :thanks:
Another vote for the handheld compass. Get a cheap one, with straight sides and marked in an appropriate scale, preferably on both sides. Works great. Expensive ones have doodads that get in the way.
Roger Mortimer
User avatar
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:30 pm
Location: Fresno, CA
Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Martin Sluka » Apr 11, 2009 2:58 am

cavedoc wrote:Another vote for the handheld compass. Get a cheap one,


Get an expensive DistoX and expensive Pocket PC, learn therion, and you will not need any handheld compass or sketch in scale on paper any more. And you'll have maybe two times more time for cave surveying.
User avatar
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 17, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Hi Mike. :waving: There sure are a lot of keyboard kavers out there now.

I like the idea of the Cave Compass. I have been using the same thing, except in the a 3 dimensional version with a Silva compass. Sort of like this:
Image

Works the same way. It takes a lot of thought out of sketching. Just turn the dial and line it up. Pretty simple.



Brilliant, I just broke mine a few weeks ago in the cave, dont ask me why i had it, or maybe i was hiking..........anyway i pitched it. My wife has one though> i was testing out on the survey paper and i was surpised, you were right, it works. I am TOTALLY taking this with me next time. I can see how this will be 100x easier to draw plot lines than the protractor in the OP, or the others i have from hobby lobby. Amazing...........why didnt I think of this?
User avatar
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Missouri
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby lleblanc » Apr 14, 2009 11:51 am

cavedoc wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:
I like the idea of the Cave Compass. I have been using the same thing, except in the a 3 dimensional version with a Silva compass.

Works the same way. It takes a lot of thought out of sketching. Just turn the dial and line it up. Pretty simple.


For the price of a compass, you can get a cheap Palm device (like a IIIxe on eBay) and input your numerical data with the Auriga freeware (http://www.speleo.qc.ca/Auriga). On top of everything else, it'll give you the projected length in real time, as well as paper coordinates for sketching to scale.


Luc Le Blanc
User avatar
lleblanc
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 10, 2007 2:19 pm
Name: Luc Le Blanc
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby teacaver » Apr 18, 2009 10:55 am

Auriga wrote:
cavedoc wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:
I like the idea of the Cave Compass. I have been using the same thing, except in the a 3 dimensional version with a Silva compass.

Works the same way. It takes a lot of thought out of sketching. Just turn the dial and line it up. Pretty simple.


For the price of a compass, you can get a cheap Palm device (like a IIIxe on eBay) and input your numerical data with the Auriga freeware (http://www.speleo.qc.ca/Auriga). On top of everything else, it'll give you the projected length in real time, as well as paper coordinates for sketching to scale.


Luc Le Blanc


I don't think Scott was talking about using a Silva compass in the cave. He was talking about the Cave Compass http://www.cavecompass.com which is a new cave survey protractor that sells for only $6.00 each (when you buy one at a time).
It works exactly like using a Silva compass (base plate compass) but it isn't nearly as fragile or expensive. It even has a cosine table on it for calculating your corrected distances.

Image
teacaver
Infrequent Poster
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Jan 22, 2009 2:36 pm
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 18, 2009 12:42 pm

teacaver wrote:I don't think Scott was talking about using a Silva compass in the cave.

Yes, I was. It works exactly the same as the Cave Compass. Just more expensive and thicker and fragil-er. The only benefit I can think of for the Silva over the Cave Compass is the Silva has an actual compass so you can guestimate the direction of stuff you're sketching. I suspect I will be switching to the Cave Compass, soon.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
User avatar
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: Asheville, NC USA
NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:
teacaver wrote:I don't think Scott was talking about using a Silva compass in the cave.

Yes, I was. It works exactly the same as the Cave Compass. Just more expensive and thicker and fragil-er. The only benefit I can think of for the Silva over the Cave Compass is the Silva has an actual compass so you can guestimate the direction of stuff you're sketching. I suspect I will be switching to the Cave Compass, soon.


Scott, i used my Silva compass last night surveying and I was able to crank out 950 feet with 1 other guy in a few hours. That was the EASIEST plot line sketching that I have ever done. I couldn't believe I never thought of that myself, lol. Thanks guys for pointing it out, I definately wont be using protractors anymore unless I absoluately have to.
User avatar
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Missouri
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Chads93GT » May 8, 2010 7:01 am

Yet another advertisement bot I see................


Since a bot brought this thread up from the dead I do have to say that I went wtih the cave compass and it has made sketching multiple shots on 1 page extremely easy.
User avatar
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Missouri
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 8, 2010 7:10 am

Chads93GT wrote:Yet another advertisement bot I see................


Since a bot brought this thread up from the dead I do have to say that I went wtih the cave compass and it has made sketching multiple shots on 1 page extremely easy.

I was in the process of killing two spams on the forum (2 users, 1 IP) while you were posting up on this! But yeah, it was the resurrection from the dead that lead me to checking the recent post.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
User avatar
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3179
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
NSS #: 15789
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Anonymous_Coward » May 8, 2010 6:46 pm

sluka wrote:Get an expensive DistoX and expensive Pocket PC, learn therion, and you will not need any handheld compass or sketch in scale on paper any more. And you'll have maybe two times more time for cave surveying.



Yeah, except for when the Disto X goes out of calibration on day two of an eight day trip underground. Then you get to spend two hours recalibrating it with your expensive Pocket PC so that it will last another day before going out of calibration again. Then you get to put all the expensive nerd gear away and use.......are you ready for this.......Suuntos, pencil, and paper! Oh, by the way. Better bring the Suuntos, pencil, and paper along with the technology out with you from camp every day. Otherwise you will be totally F****d when the DistoX goes haywire out on the frontier.

Just sayin, I've seen it happen.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
User avatar
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Feb 3, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: Inside the Beehive
NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto
  

Re: Cave Survey Protractors from Inner Mountain...........junk??

Postby Jeff Bartlett » May 11, 2010 10:29 am

jaa45993 wrote:Yeah, except for when the Disto X goes out of calibration on day two of an eight day trip underground. Then you get to spend two hours recalibrating it with your expensive Pocket PC so that it will last another day before going out of calibration again. Then you get to put all the expensive nerd gear away and use.......are you ready for this.......Suuntos, pencil, and paper!


:exactly:

Someone wake me up when the digital technology is anywhere near as reliable as Suuntos, pencil and paper. After watching v1.0 of all three devices (Disto X, DUSI and Shetland Attack Pony) cause many caving acquaintances to pull out their remaining hair, I'm guessing we'll need to wait for the third or fourth generation before I'll even consider picking one up.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
User avatar
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 948
Joined: Jun 29, 2007 12:19 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey
  

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron