Using Walls in the Cave

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Using Walls in the Cave

Postby cavescom » Dec 2, 2008 12:20 am

On Dec. 13th we will be using the Mobile Demand very rugged tablet on a survey trip in Raders Valley http://www.ruggedtabletpc.com/ it is a bit heavy but other devices are coming on the market now that will change our options significantly for drawing on a PC in the cave utilizing Walls/Illustrator combo.

Mobile Demand Unit

Much more has been published here http://incavedigitalsurvey.com/board/Ya ... 1224130164 but I will paste some additional things below.

Here is The Panasonic Toughbook U1 only 2.3 pounds!

Front View

Head on View

Split Screen Mode View

Another device we picked up real cheap on ebay for entering the data real quick is a Sidearm 1(Note the Sidearm2 will be out soon http://www.novamobility.com )

The Sidearm 1 is a Windows CE device with long battery life and very rugged. Data for Walls is entered into Microsoft Word in the following format:
C13,C14,8.2,170/350.5,22/-23,<1 7 0 12>
which is then transferred to the PC and opened in Microsoft Excel with commas chosen as the delimiter. Once it is opened a simple copy/paste to get it into Walls and "compile"....export the SVG and begin drawing in Walls etc. We generally shoot 4-6 shots marking each clearly then transfer that data to the PC. The digital sketcher then has the job of drawing the passage/details for those 4-6 shots while the data crew continues to collect more data.

SideArm 1 Windows CE device - Rugged

Mark Passerby, IncaveDigitalsurvey.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Re: Using Walls in the Cave

Postby Aaron Addison » Dec 2, 2008 10:22 am

Great stuff Mark....

Are you using walls (or know anyone that is) for drawing profiles in the cave? Round tripping or otherwise? I've seen a lot on drawing plan views in the cave, but nothing on profiles.

ALSO.... Does anyone out there know how to get Walls to produce a vertical exgarrated profile? Say x5 or x10?

Cheers,

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby cavescom » Dec 2, 2008 10:41 am

Profiles in Cave- No and to date I haven't even toyed with doing it.

Hopefully at some point if enough cavers have interest David will put the SVG option in for profiles.

Mark
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Spike » Dec 2, 2008 11:09 am

The latest Walls manual says,

"Profile views currently can't be exported as SVG, a restriction that will soon be removed. One reason it exists now is that additional coding is required to insure that specific profile orientations are maintained in merge operations. Also, this capability will benefit from the implementation of vertical clipping planes, another planned feature. Without the latter, too many irrelevant vectors would likely project onto the plane of the profile, thereby complicating a feature adjustment."

The only way I can think of to get a vertical exaggerated profile would be to export a table with X, Y, and Z and then import the table into a spreadsheet and calculate an exaggerated Z. I think you may be able to add and manipulate the columns to place a #fix argument for each station and then copy this data into Walls. Walls should then be able to stretch each shot to match your fixed points and kick out a WMF of the exaggerated profile. I've never attempted to do this but I think it might work. Could be a fun way to try and blow up Walls.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 2, 2008 11:15 am

For vertical exaggerations, just export a regular profile metafile (WMF) and then scale it disproportionately in Walls Illustrator (horizontal 100%, vertical 300%... that sort of thing). Then draw on the exaggerated scale. This would monkey with roundtrip functionality, of course, but since Walls doesn't SVG-roundtrip profiles it's a non-issue.

Drifing off-topic, I also wish Walls would do expanded profiles instead of just projected profiles. When I want to do an expanded profile of a particular section of cave, I basically have to create a dummy survey with all the clinometer information and distance information intact, but all azimuths set to zero, and then export a "projected" profile at 90 degrees.

(edit: typo of the year, I wrote "Walls" instead of "Illustrator" and can only hope Spike just wasted 5 min trying to figure out what planet I come from)
Last edited by Jeff Bartlett on Dec 2, 2008 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Aaron Addison » Dec 2, 2008 11:18 am

Hmmm... I like the way you think Spike...

Seems like there should be a way to place a vertical multiplier in a directive statement. I can do it in ArcGIS by calculating a new column value (similar to your spreadsheet thought). You could display it with a FLAG but that doesn't get you any closer to drawing a profile. Sigh...

Back to GIS alchemy,

Aaron
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Spike » Dec 2, 2008 4:44 pm

Or you could save yourself a lot of trouble and do it the way Jeff suggested. Ever get the feeling you've found a niffty way to do something only to discover you've done it the hard way. :doh: Now if I was adding a function to Walls for making an exagerated profile I would likely use the method I descibed.
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Dec 3, 2008 12:50 pm

Or you could save yourself a lot of trouble and do it the way Jeff suggested.

I would if I could. Unfortunately the two profiles that I need to draw don't lend themselves to that technique. One is in a paleo beach ridge in Mexico and very mazey, the other is a big joint controlled river passage with some serious doubling back.

your earlier post about David adding the clipping planes is key. Right now the only drafting software that can handle 3D clipping planes are the CAD packages.

Aaron
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum