Comparison - Suunto, Pony & DUSI

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Comparison - Suunto, Pony & DUSI

Postby LWB » Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm

I got about 21 stations of in cave survey data with a Suunto pair, Shetland Attack Pony and the new DUSI. It is not a loop, but the data is all in Walls to do comparisons. All with foresights and backsights. And compass test course data was used to correct each instrument to magnetic north.

I had some calibration and measuring issues with my first use of the DUSI (it records when you release the button, which causes some movement), but Sean has new firmware coming, and I think these issues will be resolved. The ability to automatically compare FS/BS will be a nice feature and unlike the Pony you can enter distance and wall data to be downloaded later. It is an impressive instrument, and its much lower price puts it within reach of anyone who can afford Suuntos. Despite the larger errors in FS/BS the overall DUSI survey line still compared well to the Pony and Suuntos. The calibration process for the DUSI requires no prepared site or external computer (like the Pony). And it only takes a couple of minutes. In use, It lacks the wonderful simplicity of the Pony, but it adds a lot of features that I may learn to appreciate. The DUSI is not waterproof in its current configuration, but it seems very rugged - I didn't put it in a Pelican box like my Disto and Pony.

I was quite happy with my Pony on this survey. Except for a 2 degrees FS/BS inclination error that wasn't caught by the bookkeeper, all FS/BS in both Az and El were within a degree. And the only shot I had to repeat was because I was aiming at the wrong target! I have spent quite a bit of time working calibration issues with the Pony, and I didn't think I had them all resolved, but this data sure looked decent.

Suunto was read by an excellent Suunto reader (thanks Bob) and all FS/BS met the 1 degree standard. There were a couple of shots that had to be repeated.

As for those who want to know about how the Disto X compares, I ordered one about 6 weeks ago, and have been told the "boards have not arrived". Hopefully it will eventually arrive. According to its website the calibration processes will not require a prepared site like the Pony, but will take about the same length of time as the Pony to collect and process the data.

I did compare about 30 Pony and DUSI shots to Theodolite data. A first look at the data shows the DUSI data had half the spread of the Pony in elevation (extremely good), but about twice the spread in azimuth. This was a first attempt, and the next is likely to be better. Especially with the new firmware.

These devices are getting to the required accuracy, but still require careful attention to calibration to achieve it.

Photo of equipment below:

Last edited by NZcaver on Mar 19, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited to enable BBCode
LWB
Prolific Poster

Re: Comparison - Suunto, Pony & DUSI

Postby Bob Thrun » Oct 19, 2008 12:03 pm

What is a DUSI?
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LWB » Oct 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Sorry,
The photo didn't seem to upload correctly. I have other photos but they will probably have the same problem uploading.

DUSI - Digitial Underground Survey Instrument - pronounced "doozy"

Website at
http://digitalsurveyinstruments.com/

The rubber (plastic) gasket comes in various colors. The laser and switch and USB connector are recessed inside the gasket at the top of the instrument. Well protected from damage, but not moisture.

LWB
Last edited by LWB on Oct 24, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby geckosenator » Oct 20, 2008 11:49 am

geckosenator
Infrequent Poster

Postby geckosenator » Oct 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Oops, I had a typo in the url, it is:

http://digitalsurveyinstruments.com/
geckosenator
Infrequent Poster

Postby LWB » Oct 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I see the DUSI is now available for purchase online:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8939

I have more testing to do on the DUSI, but my last limited test with the new firmware was giving me 1.5 degree spread in azimuth and 0.5 degree spread in elevation. It will be a few weeks before I get more complete testing done.

http://www.postimage.org/gx1L0Ooi.jpg

LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Nov 8, 2008 11:09 pm

The Disto X kit arrived this week and the Disto A3 is now modified.

Did my first calibration of it tonight. Seemed to go okay. Rotation test gave a 1.8 degree spread in azimuth and a 0.8 degree spread in elevation. Very preliminary results. Hopefully will get a good comparison of the Pony, DUSI and Disto X by the end of the month - both test course comparisons and real survey data.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby driggs » Nov 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Lynn,

I'm very anxiously awaiting your comparative evaluation of these three digital survey devices. One question: in the above posts, when you say "spread" what exactly do you mean? Are you shooting an identical shot multiple times and giving us the variability? Is this the difference between the same shot forwards and backwards? Something else?

Thanks!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby LWB » Nov 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Dave,

The spread referred to was multiple readings (12 to 16) taken with the instrument on the non-magnetic tripod (modified the Pony fixture slightly to hold the thicker DUSI and Dist X). The laser was aimed at one point and the instrument was rotated 360 degrees with readings taken roughly every 30 degrees.

This test is considered by both Phil (Pony) and Beat (Disto X) to be a reasonable way of testing for a good calibration. It is not necessarily a good test of overall instrument accuracy.

I have a long way to go to put the DUSI and Disto X through the equivalent of what the Pony has been through. The DUSI is a very simple 2 minute process to calibrate (easier than the TruPulse 360). The Disto X is probably a 15 minute process. Neither require the "truth" data the Pony requires. With a preset course the Pony is probably a 30 minute process. Calibrating the Pony requires a computer with USB connection to the Pony. Calibrating the Disto X requires bluetooth link to a computer with Pocket Topo (runs on Windows Mobile or regular Windows). The DUSI requires nothing - all calibration algorithms run eternal to the DUSI.

Unfortunately I have to balance the electronic testing with some promised photo trips this month. Either that or recruit others for the photo trip support. I may not accomplish as much as I want to...
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Jan 4, 2009 11:51 pm

Finally got more data. Set up a new calibration course. Did calibrations of the Pony, DUSI & Disto X. And ran a 500 ft 15 station cave survey loop. Here is quick report.

Pony - I have not gotten a decent calibration on the Pony since the installation of the Bluetooth module. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is source of the problem. I wish someone else had another Pony around this week to do the comparison. I plan to remove the module (which is not working) and see if that helps. Despite an absolutely terrible calibration (average error around 1 degree), and awful test results, we did run the Pony through the survey loop. Had terrible FS/BS errors (up to 6 degrees), but when Walls averaged them, the loop closure was actually better than then Suunto survey, and well within the reasonable results for that size loop. Still my Pony has given me much better data in the past, so I need to figure out the source of the problem. Also Phil (Pony guy) is interested in calibration improvements for the Pony (which has the most complicated calibration process) and has talked to Sean (DUSI guy) about it. So I have hopes for future improvements. The Pony is simple to use, nicely cave adapted and "waterproof".

Disto X - Calibrated with a delta of 0.20 which Beat (Disto X guy) says is excellent. The calibration process is not difficult, and unlike the Pony requires no "truth" data. We used fixed points to make it as accurate as possible. The Disto X did well with the comparison to Theodolite data on the new course. It performed very well on the loop survey. The loop was done 3 times on 3 different days (same calibration), with 2 different people running the Disto X. Had one leg on the first time through the loop which had a FS/BS error above 1 degree (it was 1.4 degrees). When the data was redone, the results were acceptable. All 3 loops closed nicely in Walls, and I'm told (by Walls experts) that the data is quite good. I would be comfortable taking this instrument on a real cave survey. The Disto X has both the advantage and the disadvantage of being a modified A3 Disto. The advantage is you get distance too. The disadvantage is the inability to use reflective targets (which make aiming so easy) and the lack of a delay which makes the aiming even harder.

DUSI - I had encountered some accuracy issues with older versions of the firmware, but Sean (DUSI guy) fixed that and is working on some other improvements to accuracy. The current calibration process is very simple, but we may conclude that a process similar to the Disto X is needed to achieve consistent FS/BS within a degree. But that is not hard to do. We ran the survey loop twice on 2 different days (different cals) and got good data both times. Had to repeat some readings to achieve the 1 degree FS/BS agreement. Loops closed nicely (better than Suunto or Pony, not a good as Disto X). I suspect that with the code Sean is currently working on, that he will achieve at least as good as Disto X if not better within a few weeks.

The thing I really loved about the DUSI was that with multiple line screen and the keypad, I could enter and save all the survey data in the instrument. In the Options you can choose the FS/BS tolerance you want, the rounding you want on the results (0.1 degree, 0.5 degree, 1 degree), and whether you want to include the distance (the DUSI is compass/clino only), the backsight, and the Walls (right, left, ceiling, floor). No need to do any math in my head (a real pain with 0.1 degree data). If the data was outside of my 1.0 tolerance, it would blink as well as display the difference error. The screens prompt you for the next data. No worries about returning without including the wall data at one station. The result was that it was possible to run the survey loop (using reflective targets) by myself. No need to have someone writing it down and checking that the FS/BS readings matched. The screens are backlit, easily readable and the buttons on the keypad can be operated with gloves on. I can see the value of the DUSI in a real cave survey. It seems like we are always waiting for the bookkeeper to reach a point in his sketch that he can take down data. With the DUSI you can enter it all there, and give to bookkeeper whenever he is ready (this would be a nice place for a bluetooth link). You can view the data in table form and also download via USB. I keep giving Sean more ideas for improvements /changes to the DUSI (probably driving him nuts). His real interest is in the software, so if there are any cavers with digital circuit hardware experience out there that are interested in creating a "Super-DUSI", contact Sean. He also has a tiny "cave mouse" version that he is integrating bluetooth into. I've been telling him it needs display, even if it is simple like the Pony, in addition to bluetooth.

Additional comments: Water/Mud proofing. I tested these instruments in a DryPak, and the laser and buttons work just fine through the clear part (zip lock bags distort the laser). The DryPak comes in various sizes. The DUSI without its protective plastic boot fits in my small PDA size DryPak (5x6). With the boot on would require a slightly wider and longer version. The Disto X is slightly too long for the smaller PDA size, but would fit in the 4 x 8 cell phone size or the 5 x 8 PDA size. I like the protection of the rubber boot on the DUSI - it seems very durable but I was worried about mud/water getting into the USB connector or other places. For dry caves a piece of electrical tape over the USB connector would probably be enough (we talked about hiding the USB connector under the boot as another option). A DryPak is significantly cheaper than switching to waterproof USB connectors and switches. Sean really doesn't want the DUSI to get as expensive as the Disto X and Pony. If you buy the DUSI directly from him it is rather inexpensive.

Hopefully by next month I will have figured out the Pony's problem and have the high precision DUSI firmware to test.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 6, 2009 4:43 pm

I have not been surveying much lately, but this thread has remotivated me. I've been vaguely familiar with the Shetland Attack Pony but the DUSI is new to me. I've been debating how to plead with the wife for a Disto laser measurement device, but it looks like the DUSI costs less than the Disto 3 and has the bearing and inclination added in too! It will be interesting to see how the testing you're doing will turn out. Good luck!

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby LWB » Jan 6, 2009 6:51 pm

There are 3 instruments I know of. The Shetland Attack Pony, made by Phil Underwood in the UK, the Disto X, a parasite board for a Leica A3 Disto made by Beat Heeb in Switzerland, and the DUSI, made by Sean D'Epagnier in Colorado.

They are all electronic compass/clinometers. The Disto X, since it is based on a Disto, still has the range function. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. The Leica A3 Disto is a discontinued model, so unless you have one you will have to find one to convert. Beat is looking for a different Disto to modify - and apparently the newer Leica models do not easily lend themselves to this mod.

All of these instruments have their good and bad points. The DUSI is the least expensive. You can get it from Sparkfun or directly from Sean (for less money). The DUSI is bigger because of the keypad for data entry. If size is an issue, it can be removed from the protective plastic boot. Then it is shorter, thinner, but slightly wider than the Pony & also the Disto X.

Sean has been working to increase the accuracy of the DUSI beyond the 0.3 degree the current firmware seems to give. The problem was that instrument error compounded with user errors (aiming) could sometimes put it over the rule of foresights and backsights must match to 1 degree. If your project accepts 1.5 or 2 degree differences in FS/BS the DUSI can do it now. If you want 1 degree, you will repeat more shots than you really want to.

The Disto X generally seems to do the 1 degree. I can only remember one repeated shot in our loop survey this time. Last month there were a few more, and this month's calibration was a little better.

As for Laser Range Finders for measuring distance, I personally use the Bosch which can be found on ebay for the $60-$75 range. I think that distos are best used for measuring walls. Bookkeepers love them. But great care must be taken to get good station to station distances. We taped all the distances in our survey loop as well as using the Disto X. Even with care we had some 0.2 to 0.3 foot errors with the Disto X distances. You need to use a target (non-reflective) and must be careful not to miss the target with the movement caused by pushing the button. This is a significant issue with the Disto X. Both the Pony and the DUSI have a delay built in so you can steady your aim after the button is pressed (Pony) or released (DUSI). That makes the Pony and the DUSI significantly easier to use. This is nothing that Beat can do to change this since it is part of the Disto A3. Newer Leica Distos apparently have a delay.

For foolproof simplicity the Pony is great. I hope I can figure out the problem mine seems to have recently developed. I have gotten good data from it, but not consistently. And it seems to have more trouble at the steep angles, while the Disto X and DUSI do just fine. I think the DUSI is quickly approaching what would be my instrument of choice on a real survey. And I would be comfortable with using a Disto X, but it is harder to aim.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Jan 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Summary of the latest testing.

Disto X. The testing of last months calibration produced acceptable results, but a recalibration produced excellent results. Ran the 17 station survey loop. I believe the worst FS/BS error was 0.4 degrees with the new calibration. Haven't put the data in Walls yet. Actually ran the Disto X through the survey loop (about 500 ft) with the Disto in a Dry Pak (small camera version) and wearing gloves. If you are surveying in wet nasty stuff this may be the way to go. I left the Disto X for Aaron Bird to use next week. Hopefully he will have real survey experience to report. Average Disto X Azimuth Error = 0.22 degrees, Elevation Error = 0.12 degrees. Here is Disto X in test fixture:

Pony. Had both my Pony and Aaron's (thanks, Aaron) to recalibration and test. I was sure I had damaged my Pony because I had been unable to get a decent calibration recently. I ran both Ponys through the same calibration sequence (basically the Disto X calibration course). Sure enough Aaron's Pony calibration resulted in calibration errors about half the size as mine. Not the best I have seen, but acceptable. But when I ran the test course, they were both about the same - and not even as good as my Pony was last month. I'm still mystified by these problems. It seems like the Pony data keeps getting worse! I did run both Ponys through the survey loop. Poor FS/BS agreement. I haven't put into Walls to see now the loop closure went. Last month it still beat the Suunto for loop closure (but the Suunto had acceptable FS/BS agreement). Average Pony Azimuth Error = 1.66 degrees, Elevation error = 0.15 degrees ( last month was 0.81 & 0.17). Here is Pony in test fixture.

DUSI. The DUSI with "beta" firmware produced some excellent results. Elevation accuracy is amazing, and the the azimuth data was on par with the Disto X (with the new calibration). Ran out of time to get a survey loop with it this time, but I'm expecting results similar to the Disto X. Average DUSI Azimuth Error = 0.23 degrees, Elevation Error = 0.09 degrees. Here is DUSI in test fixture:

One problem is that we are getting test data down to the point that my Theodolite (truth) setup accuracy is affecting results. It is difficult to get the theodolite (a 10 second theodolite) on its tripod at exactly the same spot as the Instrument under test on the more flimsy Brunton Non-magnetic tripod. If anyone knows of another non-magnetic tripod, please let me know. A half inch error in the location of the pivot point is significant. Of course none of this is critical for cave surveying, but important for accurate comparisons.

As a better response to the question about spread, here are scatter plots of the test data comparing New Years to late January results.

More in about 3 weeks.
Last edited by LWB on Mar 20, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Mar 18, 2009 10:32 pm

February Test Results

I'm behind on reporting on test results, so I will describe February and March testing separately.

Pony - Did no testing with the Pony in February. The January results were not encouraging and I was not sure want to do next.

DUSI - I was hoping for Sean's beta algorithm to be incorporated into the regular firmware, but Sean was busy with other things (including the new DUSI model with bluetooth) and after begging awhile already at the cave, he sent me an update that I could not get loaded - it claimed to hit the memory limit (which varied with the Windows loader that I was using or the Unix loader Sean was using). Sean responded to my cry for help with a slimmed down version, but although I got it loaded it did not work. I did get the 22 Jan (old) firmware loaded and took some data, but it had older algorithms than we tested in January and allowed only 24 calibration measurements. I took data but as expected was no where near as good as the data we got in January. I later tried to reload the last "official" firmware from the DUSI website and I got errors. I had loaded it before, so I might have screwed things up with some of the stuff I tried.

Disto X - I concentrated on the Disto X in February. I ran the Disto X through the test course with the calibration from January. In January with a fresh cal, we had average errors of 0.22 degrees Az and 0.12 degrees Elevation. A month lateer the results were 0.31 / 0.11. So as before we see some degradation with time to the calibration. Then ran the 500 foot survey loop, all backsights matched foresights to 1 degree or better. Did not have to repeat any shots. Loop closed to 0.8 ft horizontal / 0.2 feet vertical.

We did a new calibration and got 0.16 / 0.12 for the average errors. Quite impressive. Then ran the 500 foot survey loop. Had a terrible time trying to get FS/BS to match within a degree. Even after reshooting we had 6 datasets that did not match, worst error was 2.2 degrees. Unacceptable. Why? Survey loop closure error was 0.6 ft horizontal and 0.3 ft vertical

Remembering that I had dropped the Disto X on the floor when removing it from the test fixture made me wonder if that was the problem. So we redid the calibration and the test again. This time we got 0.21 / 0/13 for the average errors. We ran the survey loop again only had one bearing off more than a degree and it was 1.1 degrees. We still had to repeat a number of shots. Loop closed to 0.4 ft horizontal and 0.1 ft vertical.

I'm bothered that the accuracy of the test course does not seem to be directly correlated to getting good FS/BS data. The loop closure errors are probably in the noise, but they did not correlate well either.

We did run one of the survey loops with the Disto X in a Dry Pak. It worked well. For wet or muddy passage it would be a good way to protect your Disto X. Having the closure on the side is definitely the way to go, it doesn't interfere with putting the instrument on station.

Last edited by LWB on Mar 19, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Mar 19, 2009 8:58 pm

March Testing

DUSI
I still had no firmware update, so no testing, but I did hear from Sean that he had sent off the design for the new DUSI boards. So maybe by next time, I will have the newest DUSI to test.

Disto X
We ran the Disto X through the test course with the calibration from February, the average error was 0.34 azimuth and 0.15 elevation. It had been 0.21 and 0.13 when the calibration was fresh back in February. Then ran the survey loop. All FS/BS matched within a degree and we did not have to repeat any shots. Loop closure was 0.5 ft horizontal and 0.5 ft vertical. Data seemed good, but as previous times we do see an increase in the average errors as the calibration gets older.

Side Topic: During the loop survey I took a bunch of splay shots at every station with the Disto X. Downloaded these and pasted into Walls. Looks pretty neat with the passage turned on in the Display Map mode.
Exported to SVG and opened in Illustrator. It is interesting to see all this wall detail. Put into the UMPC (running Window XP Tablet) and thought it would be neat to try to sketch on the UMPC in the cave. But I'm neither an Illustrator expert or a good sketcher, but I got lucky and found a volunteer who was willing to give it a try. Pat spent about a hour in the cave with the UMPC drawing a map.
She said it was difficult to figure out how to get started since it is so different than a normal survey. She said she had to remind herself it was just Illustrator 10, same as she normally uses to draw cave maps. Drawing with a stylus on a screen is a bit different than normal. She thinks it has potential, and the UMPC with its 7 inch screen is an acceptable compromise in all but very big passage (it is 9.5" x 5.5" inside the Otterbox, with the longlife battery). I remember Aaron's comment from using a much bigger Tablet PC in a cave that the best thing was never having to change pages!

After the Disto X test, we didn't recalibrate, instead we sent the Disto X on a real survey to the tight canyons above Cow Falls. The original survey was full of "faked" shots because it was impossible to get into position to read a compass. And it was all older surveys (some was Brunton, not Suuntos). Tom, Lee-Gray and Dan tackled the resurvey. Lee-Gray read the Disto X (he says he is "in love") and Tom complained about the difficulty in actually getting into position to write in the book in the awkward canyon. It was Dan's first trip and he was faced with trying to set points in an impossibly tight canyon with no survey experience. Still Tom claimed they were about twice as fast as a normal survey party. They did have to repeat some shots but said it was quite easy to do.

The next day, Dave Carson ran Disto X through the survey loop again, while we were running the Ponies on the test course. Unlike 2 days before we had some FS/BS agreement trouble, 6 shots with more than 1 degree difference, worst was 1.5 degrees. Several shots were repeated. Interestingly the loop closed better than 2 days before with no FS/BS issues The horizontal closure error was 0.1 ft and vertical was 0.2 ft. I'm guessing that these closure errors are in the noise.

I then recalibrated the Disto X, ran the test course and ran the survey loop. The delta for the calibration was 0.19 degrees - slightly better than the 0.20 I had gotten on all the recent calibrations. Like in February I used the Disto X calibration routine that Luc (the Auriga guy) wrote for the Palm. I prefer the Palm Tungsten E2 with his calibration software to the Dell Axim /Windows Mobile / Pocket Topo version. I really like the "Clear Disto X Memory" feature in Luc's software. But when I downloaded Disto X data I did use Pocket Topo, which runs fine on the laptop or UMPC with Window XP, so a Windows Mobile machine is not necessary to run the software. Pocket Topo can export a text file which can be pasted into Walls or into Excel.

The Disto X test course result was 0.23 az and 0.13 elev average errors. This was pretty typical of fresh calibrations on the Disto X. Ran the Disto X through the survey loop in record time (didn't write down the data, downloaded in the car on the way home). All FS/BS agreed, and no shots needed to be repeated. Closure error was 0.7 ft horizontal and 0.1 ft vertical.

I'm generally please with the Disto X. I don't have any problems trusting it on a real survey. I'm not sure I would want to go much longer than a month between calibrations, but it is easily to calibrate.

Pony
I have been unhappy with the Pony calibrations since we had to set up a new calibration course. We learned in January that it was not a problem with my Pony (Aaron's gave similar results) and if I used all the test course stations to calibrate the result was better than using half (like the Disto X). Still the results were not encouraging and they were not as good as the Great Onyx calibration results.

In February we set up an additional 8 stations at 2 different elevation angles (-17.5 degrees and +17.5 degrees) and at different azimuths than the other stations. We re-shot all these stations with the Theodolite to get the "truth" data needed for a Pony calibration (although Phil is working on software that does not require truth data).

Since I still had Aaron's Pony, I decided to calibration one Pony using all the stations, and the other using half the stations. So my Pony had 5 elevation angles with azimuth shots every 45 degrees, and Aaron's Pony had 5 elevation angles with shots every 90 degrees. These were staggered so the azimuths were not all the same. I discovered that the Pony has a 150 shot limit for calibration data (raw data) so I ended up overwriting the first 3 sets of level data on my Pony.

I was encouraged after running the calibration software, my Pony had an average Calibration error of 0.28 degrees with only one individual error over a degree and that was 1.05 degrees. Aaron's Pony with half the shots had an average calibration error of 0.48 and 4 shots of over 1 degree error, the worst was 2.11 degrees. This was a vast improvement over both sets of January data (0.81 for all stations and 1.66 for half the stations). Obviously adding those other elevation angles is critical.

We then ran the Ponies through the test course (these are the same stations used to calibrate, so this would represent the best you can expect). We got az/el average errors of 0.44 /0.20 for my Pony and 0.40 / 0.14 for Aaron's Pony. So Aaron's Pony with half the stations did better (but I was missing 3 of the level shots for mine).

Dave and Roger ran both Ponies through the Survey loop while I recalibrated the Disto X. No problem with FS/BS agreement on my Pony, but Aaron's had 3 shots with errors over 1 degree. None worse than 1.5 degrees however. My Pony's loop closed with 0.4 ft horizontal, 0.3 ft vertical, Aaron's had 0.2 ft horizontal and 2.9 ft vertical. One possible issue is that Aaron's Pony had a bigger laser spot than my Pony. In various experiments/mods I managed to fry the original laser in my Pony and had to replace it. My replacement has a better spot than the original, which elongates at larger distances.

I'm not sure what to make of this. My Pony had best calibration average errors and FS/BS agreement. Aaron's had best test course results, especially in elevation, but his elevation loop closure was off.

I need to modify my old Pony fixture, since using the "all purpose" fixture will have some affect on the Pony's accuracy. And I'd like to try adding at least one more elevation angle to see what the affects on the Pony calibration are. I think the Pony will be limited by the calibration approach Phil is using. I'd like to see Sean's DUSI calibration approach running on the Pony. It will have to have some changes made to the Pony firmware to handle a different calibration matrix, but it is possible, and both DUSI and Pony software is Open Source.

That's it for now. I have lots of plots and pages of spreadsheets that await further analysis. Summary Table below.

Last edited by LWB on Mar 19, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum