2008 Cartagraphic Salon Wining Maps Posted

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

2008 Cartagraphic Salon Wining Maps Posted

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 14, 2008 4:26 pm

The winning maps from the 2008 NSS Cartographic Salon are now posted on NSS Web site http://www.caves.org/committee/salons/C ... phic.shtml (Or from the NSS home page, click Cave art and music (Salons)/Cartographic Salon). :clap:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: 2008 Cartagraphic Salon Wining Maps Posted

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 15, 2008 5:49 pm

No medal was awarded this year.... huh?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Sep 16, 2008 9:14 am

wyandottecaver wrote:No medal was awarded this year.... huh?

it's my understanding that the medal is awarded to maps that meet a certain high standard, not to the best in show. this means that some years, no one wins a medal, and i believe some years 2 have been awarded.

it sounds like this year's salon had an extremely disappointing turnout:
"There were 11 maps entered by 7 cartographers in this year's salon. All but 3 received an award."
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Pat Kambesis » Sep 18, 2008 12:45 pm

>it's my understanding that the medal is awarded to maps that meet a certain high standard, not to the best in show. this means that >some years, no one wins a medal, and i believe some years 2 have been awarded.

The best of show and high standards are synonymous - the best of show is the best map....and the best map is one that meets or exceeds the standards set by the cart salon. And that bar is pretty high....otherwise there would be a medal every year.

Next year there will be a new category for the International Cart Salon which will be "Cavers Choice" in which cavers will have the opportunity to vote on what map they like the best. It will be interesting to see if the "Cavers Choice" and the actual medal winner are close to being the same map.

pk
Pat Kambesis
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17304FELB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 18, 2008 4:50 pm

hopefully they are closer than the print salons. Ive never seen a print salon winner that the majority (or usually any) of my caving companions thought was the "best". but then we aren't looking at the technical aspects, just if it looks cool. But then Picasso wouldn't be a household name if I were judging art :big grin:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum