stylus tablet

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

stylus tablet

Postby ky_caver » Jul 23, 2008 10:13 am

will the following tablet be sufficient to run walls and the other cave surveying programs???
Fujitsu Stylistic ST5031D
If not, please let me know which tablets I should be looking at!!!
Thanks,
jeremy
ky_caver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeremy
NSS #: 59155
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FORT KNOX GROTTO

Re: stylus tablet

Postby Roppelcaver » Jul 26, 2008 6:45 pm

It is lean, but serviceable it seems. I think the installed 512mb will be too little for any graphics appls. You will need at least a gb. You were not really clear what you were planning to use it for, which is relevant.
Roppel Caver guy
Roppelcaver
Prolific Poster

Postby wvcaveman » Jul 27, 2008 10:27 am

You can get it with 1 GB or more, which you will want. The newest versions of the Fujitsu Stylistic are the ST5111 and ST5112, so that's something to consider. However, the 5031 that's on Ebay is a very good price. The otterbox alone is a few hundred bucks. However, since its likely a used one, I would guess it may need a new battery, which you'll need if you're going to sketch with it. If you do plan to use it for in-cave sketching, these devices are nice, but they are not the "be-all, end-all" solution. They're great for big, wide open caves like much of Mammoth. However, if you have a crawlway, more than a drop or two, or water to deal with, then the Otterbox will probably not fully protect the stylistic. The box itself is pretty tough, but the screen covering is not (although it is replaceable), and despite what the company and others say, it is not 100% waterproof. I have one and have used it for in-cave sketching in some very ideal situations and for one not-so-ideal situation. For the former, the otterbox and stylistic are awesome- definitely the way to go if the expense is not too great. For the latter, use a survey book, because, in my opinion, the computer is too big, too fragile, and too expensive to risk the potential for its loss.
wvcaveman
Infrequent Poster

Name: Aaron Bird
NSS #: 27029 FE

Postby Lurah_GB » May 4, 2009 4:44 am

i use my tablet for outdoor activity..

http://www.ruggedtabletpc.com/rugged-ta ... let-pc.php

it's military drop test..
stronger
and...ever...
Lurah_GB