survey data and maps of caves

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

survey data and maps of caves

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 10, 2008 9:19 pm

i am trying to get maps and survey data of differant caves that i have been. does anyone have the following, Slones Valley Cave System, the surrounding caves in the Mammoth Cave area, and Lost River Cave in Kentucky. The Lava Tubes in Hawaii Volcanoes Nat. Park.

Thanks Jon :cavingrocks:
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jon Durall

Re: survey data and maps of caves

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 12, 2008 12:39 am

add to the list above lovell cave in kentucky, i would like to get survey data and map of this cave as well :please: :thanks:
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 12, 2008 2:19 pm

since no one else has responded, i'll bite: why do you want survey data?

:question:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 12, 2008 3:55 pm

well over time and erosion and break down that occurs ( like during seismic activity)magnetic north is always changing as well {( in 30 yrs time from the last Mammoth Cave Nat Park survey was done mag north had shifted 4 degrees to the west) so some newer data comparison should be checked every 5 to 10 years} and for new formations and such. and for my personal data library and mapping, just something to pass down to the kids when i am gone.

jon :cavingrocks: :compass:
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi Jon!

The survey of Mammoth Cave and many of the other caves in MCNP is administered by the Cave Research Foundation. The survey is currently in progress and probably always will be, especially of the "main" cave and the other larger caves of the area. The survey data is voluminous and is not privately available, but I'm sure they would love to have another good surveyor among their ranks. You should contact the CRF and get involved. I'm a member of the CRF, and have been on several of their expeditions through the years. I owe most of my knowledge of cartography and cave sketching to those that took the time to instruct me on those trips.

Answering your questions about the other caves and maps, most of the states or regions have Cave Surveys that catalog the available cave maps and data. Most have membership requirments of some sort to safeguard the data due to its sensitive nature. If you're an NSS member, look in your new Members Manual and you'll see a list of most of the Surveys along with contact information. You should be able to get in touch with the Surveys that interest you and get more information.

Hope this helps.... :cave softly:
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 13, 2008 8:30 am

thanks for the valuable info i will try to get in contact with the CRF and i am getting ready to send in for my NSS membership :thanks: :cavingrocks:
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum