Original post: On Station, cave lengths, etc.

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Original post: On Station, cave lengths, etc.

Postby George Dasher » Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am

Xcathodex brought over some of the original post from "Publications." I brought over the rest...

On Station: On Station is about ready to go out of print. If you want one, you'd better puchase one real soon.

On Station Two: Yes, I am working on an On Station Two. It won't come out before the summer of 2009 (because I am having troubles with the comptuer sections). Of course they're is always a chance it won't come out at all, because putting these things together is hard and I might give up or die or something.

Cave length: the length of cave is the sum of all the slope distances as measured in the cave. It is not a total of the horizontal distances.

Cave depth: the depth of a cave is the vertical difference between the highest and lowest survey stations in the cave.

Pit depth: the depth of a pit is the slope (or rope) distance as measured in the cave. It is not the vertical depth, unless the pit is a true vertical pit.

Zero datum: The zero datum for a vertical cave is the top of the sinkhole, or where water, if poured on the ground, would flow both into and away from the cave. Use common sense--it the sinkhole is a mile in diameter, then the zreo datum should be placed at the edge of the pit, not at the top of the sinkhole. The zero datum for a horizontal cave is the drip line, or the shadow line if the sun is directly overhead. There is an international standard (dating from the 1970s) for cave length, cave depth, and the zero datums.

List of surveyors: Yes, you can list the surveyors by the number of trips. I usually do it as such: Bob Alderson (12 trips), Bob Anderson (11), Gordon Brace (10), George Dasher (1), etc.

]
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum