Survey and Cartography Session - Call for Papers

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Survey and Cartography Session - Call for Papers

Postby HKalnitz » Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm

Survey and Cartography Section

Call For Papers

2008 NSS Convention

August 11-15 2008 – Lake City Florida

This is a call for papers for the Survey and Cartography session at the 2008 NSS convention. The session provides a good way to tell other mappers what you are doing and to discuss problems related to mapping and cave surveying. Most cave surveyors have either developed useful techniques that may benefit others, or are encountering problems that someone else may have solved. In either case an informal session would be appropriate.

The session is informal and the audience is friendly. There are no requirements to provide fancy visual aids or to provide a written paper other then an abstract (although the editor of Compass and Tape, the newsletter of the Survey and cartography section, would love to have admissions)

Presentations can be on any aspect of cave mapping, and the material can be for folks of any level of expertise in mapping or survey.

If you plan to do a presentation, you should submit an abstract of not over 250 words to me, so that I can set up the schedule and make sure your abstract gets into the convention program. Your Abstract should include a summary of conclusions and results, not just a statement of what you will talk about, but make sure you share enough to entice convention goers to attend your presentation!

When you submit your abstract please let me, the session coordinator, know what equipment you will need for your presentation. You can assume the usual 35mm slide projector and overhead projector can be made available, but please consider supplying a digital presentation. Plan to supply your own laptop computer, but one can usually be made available if I am notified well ahead of time. Email submission is strongly encouraged, but I will accept most any legible format.

My address is 4328 Peppermill Ln, Cincinnati OH 45242, and my Email hkalnitz@fuse.net. Questions and comments can be forwarded there as well as this forum board

Deadline for receiving abstracts is JUNE 15, 2008. Abstracts received after that time may not be included in the convention guide, and may not be scheduled

Howard Kalnitz
NSS 20678
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Re: Survey and Cartography Session - Call for Papers

Postby HKalnitz » Mar 25, 2008 6:28 am

Bump - Please think about setting some survey ideas on paper -
Don't make me come to your house.......
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Postby HKalnitz » May 6, 2008 11:12 am

Folks
Time is getting short, and I have no papers
We NEED some for Convention...

- Have you discovered a new trick in illustrator that helps draw maps better?
- Have you found a new piece of equipment that make surveying go quicker?
- Have you tried a new technique and want to share it

Many people survey and are always looking for those hints to make a trip/draft go quicker. Papers need not be scientific, or overly technical

Please Help!
Howard
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » May 6, 2008 3:03 pm

Well I don't know of any Canadians heading to Florida, but the Castleguard map is kinda cool, and available as a free download as well. Follow the links on http://www.caving.ab.ca/castleguard_cave_survey.htm
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby wyandottecaver » May 6, 2008 4:15 pm

Id love to help...if I was going to con08' which i'm not.....:(
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Jun 9, 2008 6:40 am

OK folks
This is it - you have reduced me to Begging!
Please consider presenting a paper at convention 08 - I have very few.
We have run out of time and I need all papers no later then the end of THIS week, or they will not be printed in the convention guide.
If you have any questions at all about WHAT would make a good presentation, or HOW to produce an anbract please get in touch.
How about something on 'Marking stations'?
or even 'Lighting Stations'?

Howard Kalnitz
Vice chair SACS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum