symbol for Angel Hair?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

symbol for Angel Hair?

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 4, 2008 3:49 pm

Is there a generally accepted cartographic symbol for expressing Angel Hair? I am drawing a passage where these formations are the defining characteristic of that portion of the cave, and was hoping for something better than the words "Angel Hair" with some leader lines.

If worse comes to worse, though, I'll make something up and include it in the legend. Any suggestions?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Re: symbol for Angel Hair?

Postby tncaver » Jan 4, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes, I have a suggestion. I strongly suggest you put a standard symbol for
formations where the angel hair is or simply write formations on the map.
Angel hair is a very rare formation, especially in the Southeast,
and calling attention to it might be detrimental to it's existence. :waving:
My two cents.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 4, 2008 9:01 pm

maybe a symbol resembling a dandelion seed head? many little lines radiating out from a central point? alternatively you could use little bald angels denoting they lost their hair :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Jan 5, 2008 9:15 pm

I could invent a symbol. I invented some of the ones that are on the current list. But I think you should invent something yourselves and place it in a legend on the finished map. You do not need the symbol for the in-cave sketch. If I encountered angel's hair I might just write AH on the sketch every place I found it. I note that angel's hair is a form of oulopholite and resembles some anthodites. I looked at a few foreign lists and did not find anything for angel's hair.

For things that are one-of-a-kind in a cave and not found in many caves, I would draw something appropriate and write the name next to it. Some examples of things that are one-of-a-kind are: Brownies' Wishing Well. Statue of Jesse James, Moonshine Still, and Butterfly (before it got vandalized).

Despite being the longest of any cave map symbol list, the NSS List does not have everything on it. In particular, it is light on lave tube symbols. While the list was being developed, one of the most vocal complaints was that it was too long. The current "Basic List" and "List" was an unsuccessful attempt to placate the short list advocates by playing semantic games. Other combinations of terms were suggested to no avail. When I was working on the Symbols Committee, I realized that nobody would be happy with every symbol. The best we could do was make a list of symbole that are tolerable. After the list was published in the NSS Bulletin there was a demand for revision. Many of the members of the reorganized committed had their pet symbols and would not compromise. That effort eventually wound down. The fact that some features have more than one symbol is the result of bureaucratic compromise by puting 2 or more symbols in
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 6, 2008 10:57 am

tncaver wrote:Yes, I have a suggestion. I strongly suggest you put a standard symbol for
formations where the angel hair is or simply write formations on the map.
Angel hair is a very rare formation, especially in the Southeast,
and calling attention to it might be detrimental to it's existence. :waving:
My two cents.

it's a somewhat remote portion of a very well gated cave, and the passage name itself is a reference to this peculiar formation. so i feel i have a bit of an obligation to include it in the map.

bob thrun wrote:If I encountered angel's hair I might just write AH on the sketch every place I found it. I note that angel's hair is a form of oulopholite and resembles some anthodites. I looked at a few foreign lists and did not find anything for angel's hair.

this is what the sketcher has done - not drawn a symbol at all, just noted on both sides of the passage that it features angel hair. i'll get creative with the final map. i have not been there myself, as very few cavers have ever been allowed beyond that point.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jan 7, 2008 2:00 pm

There is no official symbol.

You're going to have to invent a symbol or flag it with a note on the cave map.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Leclused » Jan 8, 2008 6:39 am

Try to find a similar or derived symbol from the UIS list

http://www.carto.net/neumann/caving/cav ... on=english

In your case I would go for the symbol of straws

http://www.carto.net/neumann/caving/cav ... on=english

But perhaps upside down ?

Dagobert
(Sc Avalon - Belgium)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 8, 2008 9:33 pm

xcathodex wrote: "it's a somewhat remote portion of a very well gated cave, and the passage name itself is a reference to this peculiar formation. so i feel i have a bit of an obligation to include it in the map".

My reply: Due to the presence of the gate and remoteness of the speleothems it seems reasonable to include an angel hair symbol or AH on the map. Back to dreaming up a new symbol. :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 8, 2008 11:02 pm

tncaver wrote:My reply: Due to the presence of the gate and remoteness of the speleothems it seems reasonable to include an angel hair symbol or AH on the map.

actually, gates. plural. :cave softly:
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum