Representing a triangular cross section in the plan view..

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Representing a triangular cross section in the plan view..

Postby John Lovaas » Dec 20, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi all-

I'd like to see how other folks would solve this cartographic problem.

We just finished surveying a sandstone cave. One of the passages had a triangular cross section- widest at the top(maybe 8' wide at the ceiling), with the floor width being around 2'.

Obviously the cross section sketch illustrates the passage well- however, how would I represent it in plan view? The walls are bedrock, and slope smoothly to the floors- no steps or ledges.

I guess I could use the same slope symbol I'm using to illustrate changes in the floor slope, or else I could keep the plan view's wall width at the maximum(the ceiling width), and then use a fill to delineate the floor.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this. ;-)

jl
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 20, 2007 10:49 pm

draw the passage as being 8' wide, use the distance from the low point of the floor to the ceiling to denote the ceiling height, and then put a slope pointing down from each wall to meet in the center.

i threw an example together really quickly. in your case, you'll probably want to draw the slope more continuous than what i've shown. that's the value of cross sections - to tell the bit of the story you can't quite tell with the plan view :grin:

ps - on my screen, for some reason the thumbnailed image doesn't show the cross section leader line. oh well, it shows up when you click on it. icky.

"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby John Lovaas » Dec 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi Jeff-

Unless someone suggests something else, I will likely use the slope indicator in the fashion you mentioned.

That particular symbol makes me think of a sloping sediment floor, but there's no reason it wouldn't apply to a sloping wall.

Thanks! jl
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Dec 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Yea... just use the slope indicators for the floor.

It will show nothing of how the passage is shaped, but then that is the purpose of the cross-section.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Dec 21, 2007 3:01 pm

JL-

The primary function of the plan view is to show floor detail. I would use the bedrock symbol and only use the slope symbol sparingly. If the cross sections are in close proximity, that should tell the map reader the whole story.

Happy Holidays-

Aaron
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 21, 2007 5:11 pm

If you showed the passage width at shoulder or mid passage height and put a width line in the cross section you would have less clutter and represent it clearly enough I think.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Representing a triangular cross section in the plan view..

Postby robcountess » Mar 15, 2008 8:00 pm

I would recommend solving the problem by digging/microblasting the passage until it has a rectangular cross section :big grin:
robcountess
Frequent Poster

Re:

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Mar 15, 2008 9:41 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:If you showed the passage width at shoulder or mid passage height and put a width line in the cross section you would have less clutter and represent it clearly enough I think.

Actually, I think this is technically incorrect; I've been taught that you always show the represent the plan view as it would appear from directly above, which means you always show the passage at its widest. To deviate from this would likely confuse the map viewer more than anything.

However, those who have been surveying (or teaching surveyors) longer than I have can probably clarify this a bit. PK, can we get a ruling here?

:grin:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum