Disto D3 just arrived!

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Disto D3 just arrived!

Postby cavescom » Dec 11, 2007 11:44 pm

Wow! I just got my Disto D3 and it is nice! We will be using it in-cave in mid January but here are some pics.

Also note that it measures +/- 50 degrees not the 45 degrees it states in the manual. It also is very easy to steady the inclo and get a good solid read with the touch of a button for distance and inclination.

The bottom 2 pictures also show the bracket that pops out. When this is extended the Disto automatically senses that and adjust the measurement accordingly.

Just one word......FANTASTIC!

They are in stock now at http://www.laserstreet.com/leica-disto-d3.htm and remember to put in the code "cavers" for a caver special price.

Mark Passerby, Cavediggers.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Re: Disto D3 just arrived!

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 12, 2007 6:47 am

cavescom wrote:They are in stock now at http://www.laserstreet.com/leica-disto-d3.htm and remember to put in the code "cavers" for a caver special price.
They're not exactly in stock right now. They're caught in the ice storm in the midwest, but as soon as their delivery arrives, they'll be in stock. Presumably that will still be this week.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby ky_caver » Dec 12, 2007 6:19 pm

thanks for sharing....sounds great...I am a member to the fort knox grotto, and we are on the waiting list for this week or next. Looking forward to surveying a virgin cave we have been exploring for the last few months.
ky_caver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeremy
NSS #: 59155
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FORT KNOX GROTTO

Postby ky_caver » Dec 20, 2007 11:32 pm

We had the chance to get underground with the disto today....It did a great job...what a time saver. Will write a better report later...bed is calling my name
ky_caver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeremy
NSS #: 59155
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FORT KNOX GROTTO

re: Disto D3 just arrived!

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 28, 2007 9:52 am

OK, fellow D3 users...

I took mine out in the parking lot at work this morning and just started blasting away (blinking away?) at various surfaces to get an idea of the range of the thing. Anything over about 15 m (50 ft) was a little iffy. Sometimes I could get measurements, sometimes I couldn't. I got one up to 30 m, but nothing was reliable over 15 m.

Just wondering how other people were doing with theirs. I'm sure conditions impact the results quite a lot.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum