Foresights vs backsights

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Foresights vs backsights

Postby volica » Dec 7, 2007 11:59 am

http://www.volica.org/foreback.php

Always had problem with that....
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 7, 2007 12:16 pm

Cheater. :nono:

:kidding:

That will make a nice addition to the back of the survey book. Just don't give it to the instrument guys--they will cheat.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby boogercaver71 » Dec 7, 2007 12:54 pm

Especially when surveying in a water crawl :agree:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 7, 2007 1:40 pm

yeah, seriously keep it away from the instrument guys. when i'm reading backsights i specifically don't listen at all to what the other guy is reading, but it's tough.

by the way, Auriga does this for you =)
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 8, 2007 2:28 am

Or you can get a compass marked in grads, 400 to a circle. Then you either add or subtract 200 to get the backsight. The only problem with grads is sketching with a protractor. Grads protractors are not available in the US, although they can be found in Europe.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 8, 2007 10:08 am

Bob Thrun wrote:Or you can get a compass marked in grads, 400 to a circle. Then you either add or subtract 200 to get the backsight. The only problem with grads is sketching with a protractor. Grads protractors are not available in the US, although they can be found in Europe.

You can also find military compasses marked in mils (6400 to a circle), but like grads I can't say I've personally seen them used in cave surveying. Protractors in mils are also a little hard to find.

Volica - thanks for posting the table.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 8, 2007 11:32 am

Bob Thrun wrote:Or you can get a compass marked in grads, 400 to a circle. Then you either add or subtract 200 to get the backsight. The only problem with grads is sketching with a protractor. Grads protractors are not available in the US, although they can be found in Europe.

actually, i would go ahead and say that the major problem with using a grad compass is you either have to (A) buy two of them or (B) find someone else in your survey team who thinks it's a good idea too =)
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Martin Sluka » Dec 8, 2007 1:35 pm

Bob Thrun wrote: The only problem with grads is sketching with a protractor. Grads protractors are not available in the US, although they can be found in Europe.

I may send you several of them, but much more easy is to make your own:

http://therion.speleo.sk/protractor/index.php

Print it on imagesetter and laminate it. If you need any modification it is not very difficult to change the code and generate it.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 8, 2007 5:57 pm

xcathodex wrote:actually, i would go ahead and say that the major problem with using a grad compass is you either have to (A) buy two of them or (B) find someone else in your survey team who thinks it's a good idea too =)

Cave Research Foundation practice is to use only one set of instruments and have the same person reading both foresights and backsights. The makes the fore and back sights agree much better than having two sets of instruments and two readers. It eliminates compass eccentricity error and clinometer bias error. The differences between instruments and readers on different surveys are reduced by taking a shot between two permanent stations at the start of every survey.

I have done a survey where one set of instruments was in grads and the other was in degrees. In fact, we were leapfrogging. One shot would have the foresight in degrees and the backsight in grads. The next shot would have the foresight in grads and the backsight in degrees. It was about as easy/dificult comparing fore and back sights as if both were in degrees.

I find 6400 mils less convenient for doing backsight arithmetric. There are actually two kinds of mils. The American Army uses 6400 mils to a circle. The French and Russian armies use 6000 to a circle. The Suunto KB-14 can be gotten in any of these units.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Dec 10, 2007 3:48 am

Hint: you can make your chart half that size by cutting out everything from frontsight=180 and up (for frontsights greater than 180, lookup the second number instead of the first).
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby NZcaver » Dec 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Bob Thrun wrote:Cave Research Foundation practice is to use only one set of instruments and have the same person reading both foresights and backsights. The makes the fore and back sights agree much better than having two sets of instruments and two readers. It eliminates compass eccentricity error and clinometer bias error. The differences between instruments and readers on different surveys are reduced by taking a shot between two permanent stations at the start of every survey.

Hmmm, interesting. I must confess that's not how we did it when I've been an instrument reader/gopher on a few CRF surveys. We always used the standard method with each person having his/her own instrument. I can see how one instrument and one person may help improve the error between foresights and backsights, which if I recall should be less than 2 degrees to be "acceptable" anyway, but surely it must take at least twice the amount of time and effort to cover the same ground?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

backsight time

Postby cavedoc » Dec 10, 2007 10:31 pm

NZcaver wrote: but surely it must take at least twice the amount of time and effort to cover the same ground?

Hmmmm. Methinks this is a way to slow down the instrument people to allow more time to sketch in pebbles on the floor. I'll have to try it!
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Re: backsight time

Postby NZcaver » Dec 10, 2007 11:28 pm

cavedoc wrote:
NZcaver wrote: but surely it must take at least twice the amount of time and effort to cover the same ground?

Hmmmm. Methinks this is a way to slow down the instrument people to allow more time to sketch in pebbles on the floor. I'll have to try it!

Ah :doh: of course it is. Good point, Roger! This sounds like similar reasoning to why you don't let the instrument guys operate the Disto. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Spike » Dec 11, 2007 11:24 am

In regards to the use of one instrument reader for CRF surveys, at times there is confusion among crews.
It is prefered to use one reader and one instrument, if the cave passage cooperates. Often the passage being surveyed is big enough for the people to move around. If your reader is good and makes few errors it is no slower than using two people even in a crawlway.
The lead tape would hold a light on station for the front site, and until recently we were required to have 4 people on every trip into the cave, this extra body often holds a light for the backsite and no switching is needed. If there is no need to reshoot the instument reader repositions and shoots the next shot. The crew inches along as normal. However I always take multiple sets of instruments(they can and do fail in cave) and often use 2 sets in nasty passage.

Gravel? it must be under all the breakdown in the cave:)
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby rchrds » Dec 12, 2007 9:38 pm

Here is a quick rule I learned in flight school (of all places):

+2, -2 (or -2, +2)

Here is how it works-

take your azimuth, say 341 degrees.

if you can subtract 2 from the first digit, then add two to the second digit. (3-2=1, 4+2=6) so the reciprocal becomes 161.

another example, this time, the other way: 073 degrees. Since I cant subtract 2 from zero, I'll add 2 to the first digit, subtract 2 from the second digit. (0+2=2, 7-2=5) so the reciprocal becomes 253.

The only time this wont work is from 181-199 degrees but that is super easy (subtract 180), and 001-019 (add 180), so it's not perfect, but even the obtuse mathematician can figure it out in his or her head.

(Try doing it in the clouds on short final with turbulence when you forgot which runway your were landing to and approach is waiting for an answer... even I can figure it out! :hairpull: )

:kewl: hope it helps.

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum