Repair prices

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Repair prices

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 6, 2007 4:46 pm

The aluminum-bodied compasses and clinometers can be repaired by Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows. I have the 2007 catalogs from both companies. I apologize for not posting this message sooner because the prices will probably change with the 2008 catalogs. I am giving the prices for new instruments so you can decide whether to repair or buy.

The models are:
Suunto KB-14 Compass
Suunto PM-5 Clinometer
Brunton Sight Master Compass
Brunton Clino Master Clinometer

All the Brunton compasses, except for the Pocket Transits, are made by Silva. All the Silva compasses sold in the USA are made by Suunto.

Forestry Suppliers:
Compass Repair $57.65 + shipping
Clinometer repair $66.90 + shipping
Suunto compass $102.50 (+ shipping, I presume)
Suunto clinometer $123.50
Brunton compass $90.50
Brunton clinometer $111.50

Ben Meadows:
Compass repair $56.95 + shipping
Clinometer repair $66.95 + shipping
Suunto compass $104.00
Suunto clinometer $122.00
Brunton compass $103.00
Brunton clinometer $123.00

Additionally, Brunton will repair their instruments. I do not know their prices. I had three instruments repaired for free, all defective when new. One Was a Sisteco clinometer. At first I was told that Brunton had no relation with Sisteco and they would not repair my clino. I informed them that Silva (Sweden) purchased both Sisteco and Brunton and that my Sisteco appeared to be identical to current Brunton models. Another was a Silva Mark IV compass. I think that it had to be shipped back to the Silva factory in Scotland because Brunton was not licensed to work on instruments with radioactive tritium.

(the message board software does not let me indent or line up columns.)
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Repair prices

Postby chh » Aug 2, 2011 4:50 pm

This is in response to an older post, but I have a Sisteco tandem unit and the clino needs to be replaced. I called Forestry Supply and was told by the repair guy that Brunton stopped selling the replacement parts a couple years ago for the units and just offers a warranty to replace the entire unit. Since Sisteco was bought out and then again, does anyone know where I can send a Sisteco unit for repair? It's an older model. Perhaps 88 or 89?
Thanks,
-caleb
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Re: Repair prices

Postby Bob Thrun » Aug 2, 2011 7:57 pm

The former Sisteco instruments appear to be identical to instruments that are now sold in the US with the Brunton label. Silva bought Sisteco and then bought Brunton. I found the folks at Brunton to be nice to deal with. Contact them and see what they have to say.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum