Leica, Bosch, Stanley?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Leica, Bosch, Stanley?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 3, 2007 11:54 am

I'm thinking strongly about buying a laser rangefinder. I haven't really been paying all that close attention to them over the years, though I know they are used by cavers on occasion, and that new models keep coming out.

So if I were to buy one, which one?

Glancing at Cavechat I see the Bosch DLE 50 and the Leica D3. I know cavers have used a cheaper Stanley model. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'm way far away from saying money is no object. It certainly is. I'm *NOT* spending a grand for the fanciest Leica. But on the other hand, I'd rather spend $200 and get a great piece of equipment than spend $100 for a barely suitable model.

Next question--where to buy?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Dec 3, 2007 12:57 pm

Barbara,

I've done pretty well finding used LDMs on eBay. I realize some folks prefer to buy new, but I like to do my part by "recycling" - and save a few dollars as well. :wink:

My current model is a Leica Disto Classic 5, which does me pretty well. There are smaller/lighter/cheaper models available, but I really like that mine has a built in optical sight. It's great for surveying in daylight - entrances, the circumference of pits, etc. Depends if that's a priority for you, and if so it will limit your choices a little.

For the caving you do, I'd say avoid the cheap Stanley model. If optical sighting is not a concern, that Bosch and some of the newer/smaller Distos look pretty good.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 3, 2007 1:41 pm

How do you know what caving I do? :tonguecheek:

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I appreciate your input!

Anyone else?
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Dwight Livingston » Dec 3, 2007 3:00 pm

I have a Disto A3 and love it. If you sketch, don't make the mistake of giving your Disto to the instrument team. They'll go too fast and too far, with it, and you won't get the best out of the Disto anyway. The best is sitting with notebook and Disto, pinging surfaces of interest.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Dec 3, 2007 3:27 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:How do you know what caving I do? :tonguecheek:

I read the book, of course! :doh: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 3, 2007 3:56 pm

NZcaver wrote:

I'm not quite doing that kind of caving these days! I'm old and fat now.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 3, 2007 4:13 pm

Barbara,

I'm sure Mark Passerby will chime in here shortly, but he usually suggests getting lasers from laserstreet.com and using the code word 'caver'.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Dec 3, 2007 4:30 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
NZcaver wrote:

I'm not quite doing that kind of caving these days! I'm old and fat now.

Me too!

...Or at least I feel that way sometimes. Except the "don't care" bit. I still care.

Sorry :oops: here we are :off topic: again!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Lasers

Postby boogercaver71 » Dec 3, 2007 4:57 pm

I just used one of the $99.00 Stanleys last week in a tight 170 foot cave here in MO and it worked great. I shot to rock, formations, and mud with very accurate results :grin:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Rick Brinkman » Dec 3, 2007 5:02 pm

I got the Craftsman a few weeks ago. Although I haven't had it underground yet (this weekend :grin: ), I've been impressed with it. It seems to easily read to 150'. It isn't as sturdy as the Leicas, but I also got it for only $45 on eBay. :kewl:

I'll write a mini-review after this weekend's cave trip.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Jep » Dec 3, 2007 6:49 pm

Hey Barbara. Just how accurate are you trying to get? This is more out of curiosity than anything. I use them to determine heights of towers and antennas mounted on towers, so if I am within plus or minus a foot that is good enough for the FCC. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 3, 2007 6:56 pm

Jep wrote:Hey Barbara. Just how accurate are you trying to get? This is more out of curiosity than anything. I use them to determine heights of towers and antennas mounted on towers, so if I am within plus or minus a foot that is good enough for the FCC. Jep.

I don't know if I have an answer for that. What do surveyors need? What is a fiberglass tape?

The driving force for me now is that I need to establish some tripod locations that I was just going to triangulate off unique points on the landscape. If I'm alone, it will be a lot easier if I don't have to hold two ends of a fiberglass tape that are more than 6' apart! :laughing:

But then I'm not just going to use the device for this one project. I'd like to take it on normal cave surveying, too.
Last edited by Squirrel Girl on Dec 3, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Re: Leica, Bosch, Stanley?

Postby rchrds » Dec 3, 2007 7:05 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:So if I were to buy one, which one?

Next question--where to buy?

After a lot of consideration, I purchased a Leica A3. I cannot believe the amount of accuracy this single device has added to my survey in general and sketching in particular. I do not use it for primary station to station distance. (And I most likely would not use it for elevation, making the D3 not worth the money.) I give it to the front sight person who is usually very close to me, and have them give me distance to objects from his station, distance to ceilings, LRUD, etc. Now, instead of guessing ceiling heights, I know to the 10th of a foot. My profile sketches are MUCH more realistic. Instead of having to crawl back into some tiny corner for an LRUD (often in the water or mud, or more often just guessed) I have an accurate left and right measurements, and the crew no longer grumbles and complains everytime I want an additional measurement to a non-station. Ok- they just pop it with the laser and give me a quick sighting.

The leica is nice and narrow, and fits well in my waterproof jug with all the rest of the instruments. The batteries seem to last forever (I havent replaced them yet, and it's had 30 or so trips.)

I have yet to drop it in the water to test the splash-proof, so I cannot attest to that.

So far, it has never refused to take a reading due to background composition, so it has made me very happy.

As for where, I googled it, and found the lowest offer.

Jason
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby Jep » Dec 3, 2007 7:06 pm

Okay. Then DO NOT consider the Nikon ProStaff Laser 440. It isn't accurate enough for your needs. I do like the product for what I use it for, though. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 3, 2007 8:06 pm

FYI - when accuracy counts, using a decent target for the laser makes a difference. DON'T use anything reflective!

There's more good info in the Laser measuring Vs Pull Tape thread as well.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum