New Surveyor

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Bob Thrun » Nov 27, 2007 7:01 pm

George Dasher wrote:I always thought one of the worse things about On Station is that it gives tooooo many ways to do things...

I like to encourage diversity. Whenever I hear someone saying there is one best way to do something, I get very skeptical. I do recognize that there are situations - military, police, fire - where everyone should have the same equipment and do things the same way.

One of the criticisms of my book was that it did not tell cavers what was the best method. That was deliberate.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Bob Thrun wrote:
NZcaver wrote:I don't mean to discourage anyone from purchasing On Station, but it is now 13 years old and some parts seem a little more dated than others. I just sold my personal copy. I originally skimmed through the relevant parts, but found I never needed it again for reference. There are other materials out there if you look.

I do not know what you would call better.

I didn't call anything "better" actually, but that's not to say there may not be something better out there. The world is a big place, even for cavers. I agree that most good reference books on any caving topics would do well to discuss various different methods, and let the reader make up his/her own mind about each one.

Perhaps I was making that point that not all good cave surveyors have (or need) large reference books on the subject. Note that I'm certainly not rating myself with that comment, but I am throwing it out there.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 1, 2007 2:56 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Perhaps I was making that point that not all good cave surveyors have (or need) large reference books on the subject. Note that I'm certainly not rating myself with that comment, but I am throwing it out there.

Going on mapping trips with good mappers is better than reading a book. I started mapping before there were any books on the subject. However, I made a lot of mistakes and gradually improved my techniques. A good book would have shortened the process.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum