PLSS/TRS shapefiles?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

PLSS/TRS shapefiles?

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 6, 2007 9:47 pm

Not sure how many of you guys use GIS applications... I am looking for a shapefile/extension for use in plotting PLSS (quarter/quarter) locations in Indiana. I would at least like to find a grid overlay that would represent polygons down to quarter/quarter section. (I have down section level) Ideally would be an extension where I could enter a township, range, section, and quarter/quarter location and get a plot. Any ideas welcome.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby John Lovaas » Nov 6, 2007 10:42 pm

If you want to plot quarter section data as UTM or lat/lon, Topozone has a PLSS conversion utility which I've used for Wisconsin data- gives you the centerpoint of a quarter section. quick and dirty and free. I copy and paste the result to create a point file.

Have you tried contacting the local county extension office? I've had good and bad luck getting data that way. Somewhere someone has the quarter section shapefile you are looking for.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 7, 2007 4:59 pm

yes, I'm aware of the topozone converter and use it for small jobs. I was hoping to find a way to plot PLSS in bulk (i.e. 1400+ cave entrance locations in table format with multiple attributes) I would also "like" to have it plot them as unique polygons but I'll take a center dot. I'm sure such a widgit must exist, I just have to find someone who has it!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Spike » Nov 7, 2007 6:01 pm

Here in MO we have a PLSS shape file for the whole state, and I've seen some shapes that have been subdivided to 16ths of a section. Jim Kaufmann had writtena script that would plot out PLSS locations as polygons back in the 3.2 days. I don't think he has had any luck using it lately.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Nov 8, 2007 4:08 pm

The main problem with PLSS data is that it is very irregular. There is no such animal as a "regular section". Even the best efforts at such tools have come up short for the most part.

When I was consulting with INDOT about 7 years ago they were talking of developing such a layer, but I'm not sure if they ever followed through. I might be able to check with some contacts and see what can be dug up.

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 8, 2007 8:48 pm

aaron,

I'd appreciate it. I hate the thought of manually plotting them all......
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Nov 9, 2007 10:17 am

This is what exists on a State level, but it sounds like you already have something similar.

http://129.79.145.7/arcims/statewide_mxd/dload_page/reference.html

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum